Toronto Just Passed A Major Milestone Of 2000 COVID-19 Deaths Today
The 'tragic milestone' is a reminder of how deadly COVID-19 is, Toronto says.
The city made a sombre announcement on Thursday, informing residents that theis now over 2,000.
Toronto commemorated the "tragic milestone" with a press release, re-stating the city's commitment to fighting COVID-19.
We mourn all the innocent lives lost to COVID-19 with their families, friends, colleagues, and neighbours.
Mayor John Tory
To date, there have been 2,017 COVID-19 deaths in Toronto.
Issued by Mayor John Tory, Medical Officer of Health Dr. Eileen de Villa, and city councillor Joe Cressy, the statement comes just 18 days before the.
According to Public Health Ontario, the first reported case of COVID-19 appeared in Toronto on January 23.*
"This grim milestone of more than 2,000 deaths in our city over the last year should remind us all that this is a deadly virus," Mayor Tory said in the statement.
"These losses in our community aren’t just numbers, they represent people who were cared for and loved. Each of these deaths represents a unique life, and someone’s family, friend or colleague." Dr. de Villa wrote.
Toronto is currently in the middle of athat will continue until at least January 25.
*This article has been updated.