As the entire province mourns the tragic death of 11-year-old Riya Rajkumar who was found murdered inside of her father's home in Brampton, Ontarians have come together to raise money for the funeral that is taking place on Wednesday morning. Over $30,000 has been raised in memory of Riya Rajkumar and to help assist with funeral costs.  This exceeded the original goal, a target of $2,500. 

READ ALSO: Father Of 11-Year-Old Riya Rajkumar Charged With First-Degree Murder

Neighbourhood Watch Brampton set up the fundraising initiative by setting a goal of $2,500 to help assist in funeral expenses to give to Riya Rajkumar's mother. However, since the donations have been opened, the Watch has been able to far pass their goal as donations still continue to flood in. 

As of right now, $32,701 has been raised to help pay for the funeral and assist Riya Rajkumar's mother, who has yet to participate in the community effort as she continued to grieve for the loss of her daughter. The Neighbourhood Watch Brampton is still continuing to accept donations, which will be offered to assist Riya's mother. 

READ ALSO: 11-Year-Old Brampton Girl Found Dead After Getting Abducted By Her Father On Her Birthday

Via Neighbourhood Watch Brampton

The donations are set to close on Wednesday, February 20th at 12 p.m. The Toronto Sun has reported that there also a number of GoFundMe pages that are set up for Riya's funeral costs. However, all of these pages are unauthorized and if you come across one you are encouraged to report it. 

Riya Rajkumar's visitation will take place Tuesday evening at the Lotus Funeral and Cremation Center in Etobicoke between 7:30 to 10 p.m. with the funeral service taking place at 9 a.m. on Wednesday. 

READ ALSO: Peel Police Gets Inundated With Complaints About The Late Hour Of Last Night's Amber Alert

Brampton City Council will also be planning a vigil for Riya that is set for this Tuesday at 5:45 p.m. It will take place at Garden Square in downtown Brampton and anyone is welcomed to attend. 

Riya's father, Roopesh Rajkumar, is still in the hospital while recovering from a self-inflicted gunshot wound that he sustained before he was arrested Thursday night. He still remains in custody while he is in the hospital. He will appear in court once he is medically cleared to do so. 

Source: Toronto Sun 

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications