A scary incident is unfolding in Toronto right now. The Toronto City Hall is on lockdown, after a man who had a gun was seen in the area near the building. Police told CP24 that two men were reportedly walking down Elizabeth Street holding a gun. The incident took place this afternoon after 3 PM. 

UPDATE: Building security placed the lockdown at approximately 3:30 PM and reporters inside have now confirmed the lockdown has been lifted. At 4:43 PM. The City of Toronto Twitter page posted saying, “Lockdown at Toronto City Hall has been lifted. Toronto Police have advised that the security threat is over and normal operations will resume at Toronto City Hall.”

EARLIER: One of the two men allegedly dropped a gun while walking. He is said to have picked it back up and then he walked towards the direction of Toronto City Hall.

Officers arrived on the scene and have since located one gun and arrested two male suspects. One other suspect ran away from the police.

According to reports, security in Toronto City Hall urged people inside the building to get to a safe place until further notice, CP24 reported. The city hall is now on hold and in lockdown mode.

Just before 4 PM, one Twitter user posted, "Toronto City Hall is on lockdown. Police with guns on the ceremonial roof." See the photo below.


Toronto Police have confirmed that both men were found by police, and they have one male in custody. In a tweet, Toronto Police also said that they had recovered the gun, but the other male had fled.

In a second tweet, Toronto police said that the man that had escaped was believed to have gotten into a car, and it was likely a taxi or an Uber.

Const. David Hopkinson told the Toronto Star, the area was locked down when police were searching for the man who escaped. He said tha no injuries have been reported, but if there were any, they were likely to be as a result of the ‘altercation’ that took place.

According to reports, staff in the City Hall were sent an email from the city’s strategic communications asking them to stay indoors. The email said, “The safety of staff and visitors is our top priority. Staff are asked to stay inside City Hall until we receive further instructions from Toronto Police Service", the Toronto Star reports. 

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications