TDSB Now Wants To Cut Class Sizes In Neighbourhoods Hardest Hit By COVID-19
The board's already said the Sept. 8 target return date is too ambitious. ❌
After the Toronto District School Board's initial plan was rejected by Ontario, they have come back with an adjusted idea to cut elementary schoolin neighbourhoods that have been hit hardest by COVID-19.
The latest suggestion is set to be decided upon by the trustees on Thursday, August 20, CBC reports. The province will then also need to approve it, after saying no to the initial plan of cutting all class sizes.
We have a small number of resources and we're trying to do the best we can with it.
Brown said the readjusted framework would mean leasing extra spaces and hiring more teachers to ensure fewer students are in each classroom.
In an announcment earlier this week, it was revealed that the City of Toronto will be offering upto schools in order to help facilitate social distancing.
The initial intention was for schools to start returning on September 8. However, both the provincial government and TDSB have said they expect, with the board saying for schools to be ready to welcome back students in under three weeks' time.