Growing public concern about drivers has caused Toronto police to campaign for the installment of a new traffic enforcement task force. According to CBC, police Chief Mark Saunders included a proposal for the new unit in a report which will be examined by the Toronto Police Services Board on November 21, 2019.\nThe effort comes as the number of collisions on Toronto streets continues to increase. Saunders previously pushed for advancing technology to prevent accidents initially resisting the call to boost the number of officers enforcing traffic on the roads.\n“So far, in 2019, 48 people have lost their lives to traffic collisions (and) 35 of those were vulnerable road users pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists. These are not just numbers, these are our community members,” the report said according to CP24.\n“Each of these deaths were preventable. Too often, drivers’ speed, distraction, aggressiveness, and impairment were identified as contributing factors in the collision,” it added.\nAccording to Global News, the report narrows in on the city’s four most significant traffic offenses, speeding, distracted driving, impaired driving, and aggressive driving.\nThe task force will be station based on areas where neighbourhood traffic complaints are the most troubling.\nThe team will also deal with a list of corridors flagged by the city’s transportation staff where residents have been killed or seriously injured by vehicles.\n#RIDEChecks happen every day of the year. This holiday season #AimForZero and never drive impaired.The OPP #FestiveRIDE runs Nov 23-Jan 2. #ArriveAlive pic.twitter.com/PPiMXUt96w— Sgt Kerry Schmidt (@OPP_HSD) November 13, 2019\n“Traditionally, the main metric of the success of a traffic initiative is the number of tickets issued … The anticipated success of this enforcement initiative would be a direct reduction of [collisions where people were killed or seriously injured] as a result of targeted enforcement,” the report said.\nUpdate: #Hwy401 EB express remains closed between Whites Rd and Brock Rd, driver of truck remains in hospital. Hope to reopen all lanes within an hour pic.twitter.com/JAvN9wDnLt— Sgt Kerry Schmidt (@OPP_HSD) November 15, 2019\nIt has also been a tumultuous beginning to winter for Ontario drivers this month after hundreds of crashes were recorded on the province’s first day of heavy snowfall this season.\nSgt. Kerry Schmidt of the OPP reported an astounding number of collisions earlier this week, claiming that accidents are continuing to happen due to reckless winter driving.\nThere are stories everywhere. If you spot a newsworthy event in your city, send us a message, photo, or video @NarcityCanada on Twitter and Instagram.