A Vancouver Cat Hotel Went Up In Smoke This Morning & Fire Crews Saved Them All
The massive fire has devastated local businesses.
Crews made an adorable rescue at a three-alarmthat tore through multiple businesses in Cambie Village in the early hours of Thursday, October 15.
Jonathan Gormick withsaid to Narcity that crews were first called in at 2 a.m. to the 4000 block of Cambie Street.
"The remaining fire is under control," he confirmed, but he expects crews will be there all day, "we're just knocking down hot spots," he said.
Rania Hatz, Executive Director of the Cambie Village Business Association, spoke with Narcity and confirmed that Purrfect Cat Boarding was one of the places affected by the fire.
"The Vancouver Fire Department got above the stairs above Ton Ton Sushi and rescued all of the cats," she said.
While that building was not on fire, neighbouring structures were, and Purrfect Cat Boarding told Narcity that all the cats were safe with them.*
Thankfully, due to, the cat hotel wasn't fully occupied and Hatz said that "there were less than a half dozen cats in there this morning," and they were all saved.
The cat hotel is relatively new and Hatz said that insurance will never cover all of their investments they've put into the place, "[...]that expense is never paid back, it would be a huge devastating loss."
*This story has been updated.