On the night of March 28, 2019, RCMP responded to a call that a woman was allegedly being held hostage in a home in Surrey, BC. The scary incident resulted in two dead bodies. It has since been released that police gunshots were responsible for the two deaths in the 2-day hostage case. Officials are now trying to determine if the Metro Vancouver police involved in the hostage situation were right to shoot the two people. 

The hostage takeover began on Thursday night and lasted two days and resulted in two dead bodies. The incident reportedly took place in the Central City area of Surrey, British Columbia. 

That evening, police received a call that an armed man was potentially holding someone hostage at a home on 133 Street in Surrey. Police arrived at the scene quickly. Due to their heavy presence, a standoff ensued between police and the suspect. This standoff lasted until the morning of Friday, March 29, 2019. 

During this time, residents in the surrounding area were asked to evacuate their homes for their own safety. CTV News reported that multiple efforts were made by police to engage with the suspect in the home. They also tried to communicate with the female hostage before members of the Emergency Response Team (ERT) arrived and entered the home at around 7:30 AM the next day. 

Following the incident, Surrey RCMP confirmed that a confrontation with the barricaded male suspect took place. During this time, the male sustained a fatal gunshot wound and was pronounced dead on scene. 

RCMP entered the residence to find a female hostage suffering from serious injuries. Although first responders tended to her immediately, she later succumbed to her injuries in the hospital. 

The entire situation is now being investigated by the Independant Investigation Office (IIO). Data that has been gathered has confirmed that the male and the female were victims of injuries caused by police gunfire.

Now, the goal of this investigation is to determine whether police actions were lawful, proportionate, and reasonable. They are also trying to determine if any offence has been committed by the police on scene. 

In order to conduct their investigation, the IIO has compiled over 40 interviews of eye witness testimonies from bystanders, officers, and forensic investigators. 

The identities of the individuals have not been released as the investigation is ongoing. It has been determined that the male and female were known to each other. 

Chief Civilian Director Ron MacDonald has stated that the female was shot twice by police. The male also “suffered multiple gunshot wounds.”

Disclaimer: Cover image for illustrative purposes only. 

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications