A Manitoba Woman Has Been Killed After Her House Literally Exploded
A 63-year-old man has also been taken to hospital.
In an official statement released on Wednesday, Brandon police confirmed that a woman has died after a crazy house explosion in Manitoba. According to police reports, the 63-year-old woman had been inside of the Brandon property with a 63-year-old male when it randomly exploded on Tuesday evening. The man survived but was airlifted to the hospital with critical injuries.
According to a report from Brandon police, officers were called to a single-storey house on Queens Avenue East in Manitoba, just before 8 p.m. local time on Tuesday evening. When investigating officers arrived at the scene, they found a property that had been blown completely open. A mattress and other household items were found strewn across the house's front lawn and on other neighbouring properties.
When the emergency services arrived at the shocking scene in Brandon, a 63-year-old female was found deceased inside the building. A 63-year-old male was also discovered inside the building, alive but in critical condition. The man was quickly airlifted to Winnipeg's Health Sciences Centre.
The report states that attending officers noticed there was a strong smell of natural gas in the area, which the Office of the Fire Commission is now investigating.
After the incident, Brandon police evacuated homes in the nearby area and closed all roads surrounding the explosion. In a tweet just after 9 p.m. on Tuesday night, Brandon Police explained, “BPS and BFES are dealing with an emergency situation in the 200 block of Queens Ave East. Please stay away from the area. This includes 1st St and Queens Ave.”
The roads remained closed at around 7 a.m. on Wednesday morning, when Brandon Police returned to Twitter to say, “Queens Ave East in the 200 block remains closed this morning to both vehicle and pedestrian traffic as we continue an investigation in the area."
Police added, "Students attending Green Acres School should plan to take an alternate route.”
This isn’t the first time in recent years that Canadians have been victim to an unexpected, deadly home explosion. Back in 2018, a woman was killed and a man was airlifted to hospital after
Just two months ago,ripped through a property in Brampton, Ontario. A five-year-old child and three adults suffered from serious injuries, but thankfully nobody was killed.
As it stands, no official cause of the Brandon house explosion has been confirmed. That said, a Manitoba Hydro spokesperson told CBC News on Tuesday that the utility was dealing with a “probably gas explosion.”
Brandon Police and the Manitoba Fire Commissioner continues to investigate.
*This article's cover image is for illustrative purposes only.