29 Things You Will Quickly Learn About Toronto When You Move Here For University
People in Toronto are smart & competition is fierce.
Photo cred - stefka_stoyanova
We already know that people come from all over the world to attend Toronto's top Universities, it's a given. There are a few things we think everyone should know about before they make the big move for the next 4 or more years. If you don't hear it from us, you'll learn it all on your own, and quickly.
1. Vintage Shopping Comes Highly Recommended
Everyone does it, it saves you a ton of money.
2. People Don't Care About How Much Better Your Home Team Is Than Theirs
They don't want to hear it, You conform or you keep quiet.
3. You're Going To Need To Develop A Way Thicker Skin
The people of Toronto are tough and they won't stay for wimps.
4. The TTC Is Not Reliable & You Should Always Leave Early
But you never will & you'll always be late.
5. Different Is Good
In fact, the more 'different' you are, the more you'll fit in.
6. You're Going To Start Knowing A Lot More About Beer
Because it is actually a conversation topic here, who knew?
7. You're Going To See A Lot More 'Performances'
Meaning concerts, plays, art shows, homeless people performing for money, it's not all good but it's all interesting.
8. You'll Need To Do More Walking
The TTC isn't as wide spread as you may like so invest in some 'walking' shoes.
9. You Don't Need That License So Much Anymore
Driving isn't all that big in the city.
10. Your Opinions Are Important And About To Get Stronger
People will challenge them and they want you to be able to hold your own.
11. Toronto loves Tinder
Join at your own risk.
12. Healthy Eating is Something People Say Is Important To Them
Juicing, raw food restaurants, vegan grocery stores, people want to love it.
13. People Eat A Lot Of Crappy Food
But eating Mcdonald's between classes is just more convenient.
14. You'll Meet Someone At Your School Who Is Kind Of "A Celebrity"
We use the term very loosely but everyone knows someone who has been on Degrassi.
15. Working For Free Is A Thing
Apparently interning is a requirement for most programs.
16. Toronto Has A Lot Of Free Spirits
The most beautifully wild people seem to live in Toronto.
17. People Will Judge You Based On Your Coffee Order
Find it. Memorize it. Perfect it.
18. People Here Care A Lot About Burritos
There are seriously way more choices than necessary.
19. Extreme Couponing Is Alive & Well
(most) Students in this city operate hella' good on a budget.
20. What Resting Bitch Face Is
Everyone has one, it's just about making it your own.
21. Street Meat Is Your Frenemy
Friend because its cheap and easily accessible, Enemy because, well let us know how you feel after you finish it.
22. You Can't Donate To Everyone Who Asks
Between all the campus organizations, charities, fundraisers, etc you will be broke fast.
23. Loblaws at Maple Leaf Gardens is
Disneyland Disney World For Students
They have literally everything, even an LCBO and a Joe Fresh.
24. People Actually Do Enjoy Baseball
So it's not just for debauchery and heckling?
25. The Raptors Are A Bigger Deal Than The Leafs To Some
Especially when they are having a killer season.
26. Rent Is a Bitch
Like Kristen Wiig said ^
27. Your Money Won't Last Very Long Here
28. You'll Never Get A Snow Day
29. People In Toronto Are Smart & Competition Is Fierce
It's a beautiful thing. Embrace it.