O.C. officials reopened local beaches during a massive heat wave last weekend. As expected, crowds flocked in. Now, Orange County coronavirus cases have soared by more than 300 confirmed counts in the past five days.

Temperatures climbed into the high 80s and past 90 F. "The coronavirus doesn’t take the weekend off. This virus doesn’t go home because it’s a beautiful sunny day around our coasts," said Governor Gavin Newsom.

Last week, Orange County officials voted to keep beaches open to the public in spite of Newsom's statewide stay-at-home order. 

Now, there are 306 new cases of COVID-19 since last Friday.

The Orange County Register reported that on April 24, Orange County had 1,845 confirmed cases of COVID-19.

As of the morning of April 29, there are 2,151 cases in O.C. including deaths.

City officials estimated 80,000 people flooded the sands of Orange County beaches over the weekend. Some local residents even compared it to the Fourth of July-sized crowds.

Photos show that the crowds did not respect social distancing in many cases and many did not wear face coverings.

In a press conference on Monday, Newsom called out beachgoers who ignored social distancing mandates during COVID-19.

“Those images are an example of what not to see … what not to do if we’re going to make the meaningful progress that we’ve made in the last few weeks extend into the next number of weeks,” Newsom said.

He went on to say that California is only weeks away from making "meaningful changes" to the state's stay-at-home order.

After the flood of people across beaches, officials considered closing the grounds to enforce social distancing and curb the spread of COVID-19 in the area.

Yesterday, Newport Beach city officials voted to keep the beach open after Newsom's recent statements.

* The cover photo was used for illustrative purposes only.

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Notifications
Favourites
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications