What's better than red wine sangria? Frozen red wine sangria! This quick and easy recipe by Tablespoon.com lets you enjoy your favourite boozy beverage in the most fun way.
For the sangria virgins, sangria is a Spanish fruit punch made from wine mixed with fruit slices and spices. The wine used in the mixture can be either red or white, and it is usually served with ice. This recipe allows you to enjoy sangria in popsicle form, which would be perfect for a hot summer day.
Here's what you'll need:
- 1 cup mixed fruit, chopped (apples, oranges, grapes and blackberries)
- 3/4 cup red wine of choice (try Tempranillo, Malbec or Garnacha)
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- Fill a bowl with the chopped mixed fruit and pour the red wine over it. Let soak for 15 minutes.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the orange juice, lemon juice and sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved (2 to 3 minutes). Cool at room temperature.
- Use a strainer to pour the fruit-wine mixture into a measuring cup. Keep the fruit.
- Pour the orange-lemon syrup over the strainer and into the measuring cup as well.
- Divide the chopped fruit evenly into popsicle moulds.
- Pour the liquid evenly into the moulds, leaving about 1/4 inches of space from the top.
- Place handles or popsicle sticks at the top of each mould.
- Freeze overnight (for at least 8 hours before serving)