Summer is the season of road trips, but if your trip is taking you across the border there are some things you may want to be aware of. 

It is perfectly legal to drive in the States if you have a valid driver's license from Canada, or whichever country you're from. But some States have additional requirements you also have to meet. 

@huntfordriveembedded via  

In certain situations an International Driving Permit (IDP) is required as well. An IDP is basically a document that breaks down your license and translates it into multiple different languages as well. This document helps prove the legitimacy of your license and make it understandable if you end up being pulled over by police. 

An IDP is especially important if your license is issued in a language other than English, so if you have a Quebec license written in French you will definitely want to get an IDP before you go! 

Some US States may also require you to have an IDP regardless of if your driver's license is in English of not, so it's suggested to contact the DMV of the State you are travelling to or through. 

@caascoembedded via  

In order to get an IDP you have to go through the country that your license is issued in. If you have a Canadian Driver's License you would apply for your IDP through the Canadian Automobile Association. The document is good for one year from the date it's issued. 

Once you've got you IDP you are good to go! When driving in the states always make sure you have your license and IDP on you at all time and while not always required, it never hurts to have your passport on your just in case. 

@baz32_embedded via  

If you are planning on renting a car in the States an IDP may also be required by the rental agency in order to get a car. Always do your research before you go!