Melissa Merk is the epitome of "social media influencer". This Canadian YouTuber has an extraordinary following on Instagram, Twitter and of course, YouTube. Her vlogs are addicting and her Instagram feed is filled with amazing pics from exotic locations across the globe.
Melissa started making videos online eight years ago. She is one of the OGs on YouTube! Oh, and she's Canadian, which means we love her even more. Melissa is from Vancouver, BC but is a citizen of the world and spends her time traveling to some pretty amazing and remote locations.
She lives an extraordinary life, working with companies like L'oreal, she gets to jet off on amazing adventures at the drop of a hat - And she's been generous enough to answer all of our burning questions about what her life is really like as a famous YouTuber.
1. When you're not vlogging, travelling or working, how would you spend your day off in Vancouver?
Even on a off day, I'm vlogging for my weekly vlog (out every Monday! 😉) BUT on a chill day I'm probably hanging out with my boyfriend and my dog. We like to go for hikes, check out cute cafes and watch some Netflix!
2. What are your favourite bars, restaurants or cafes in Vancouver?
I've actually been thinking about filming a video on this so I don't want to give them all away but one of my current favourites is Nelson and The Seagull. Amazing coffee, fresh bread - try the avocado toast mmm. Waffles are yummy as well!
We know that Melissa loves the food scene in Vancouver. Some of her favourite spots to eat are LOCAL in Gastown and Cafe Orso. She also posts lots of pictures on Instagram of her favourite hiking spots! She frequents Lighthouse Park, Golden Ears Provincial Park and definitely Quarry Rock in Deep Cove.
3. We know that that you're a model, vlogger, beauty influencer and you work for Much TV. Since you're a "jack of all trades" when people that don't know you ask what your profession is, how do you answer?
I never really know how to answer this question. I guess it depends who's asking as well. I usually say I make Youtube videos or work in social media.
4. What's the most exciting part of working as a YouTuber?
Travelling for sure. I've gone on some pretty sweet trips with brands - Paris Fashion Week with L'oreal was super cool. We were at a party with Kris Jenner the night Kim got robbed which is crazy. Got some fun stuff coming up as well!
Melissa also travelled to Costa Rica, Jamaica and Hawaii recently! If you haven't seen her feed yet, you need to check those pics out! It will make you want to jump on a plane ASAP.
5. Who's the coolest person you've gotten to meet through work? Tell us the story!
I love meeting other influencers. Getting to talk with people who work in the same field is always super inspiring to me. Can't just pick one ☺️
Even though Melissa doesn't want to pick just one amazing person that she's met through work, we have to admit that meeting Selena Gomez is a huge deal! Not to mention, she hung out with fellow L'oreal spokesperson, Karlie Kloss last year! Talk about amazing!
6. When did you realize that you had officially become an influencer?
I never really had a stand out moment. I've been making Youtube videos for about 8 years and jumped on Instagram pretty early on. They were always just fun and a hobby for me but ended up being able to make money off it as well which is sweet!
7. What does being an influencer mean to you?
I don't really feel like I'm an influencer - I just like making content and sharing it with my followers ☺️
Melissa may not feel like an influencer but she definitely has an impact on her followers! She has almost 100k followers on Instagram and 500k subscribers on YouTube! That's a big deal.
8. Are there any companies you'd like to collaborate with or dream jobs that you'd like to try in the future, that you haven't yet?
I'm obsessed with skin care. Would love to work with Fresh!
9. What are you currently working on? Do you have any special plans or projects going on that your fans can look forward to?
Always working on a Mel Weekly (the weekly vlog) and have a few other video ideas for the near future. Also have a couple trips coming up which should help create some sweet content!