Sometimes we get so caught up in the everyday motions of our routine that we forget to just take a breath, stop and enjoy this beautiful thing we have called life. As the famous quote from Ferris Bueller's Day Off goes, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." So why not make a vow to yourself to fall in love with life again this year? You only get one shot at it, so let's make it a good one.
This crazy, beautiful thing that we call life is full of adventures, experiences, thrills and joys. What's the point of just living the same routine day by day, when you could fully experience what the world has to offer and love the life that you life?
Sometimes, one of the biggest things to help you fall in love with life is shifting your perspective. You might not necessarily need a big major life change to love your life again because it's not always practical and something that can happen super often.
Sometimes, it can be as simple as being more appreciative of what is around you. Start intentionally looking around at all the beauty that life has to offer. Start actively seeking joy and happiness instead of waiting for it to come to you. Start practicing gratitude and focusing on the positivity in your life instead of the negative.
It's much stronger and more sustainable to develop a positive mindset that stays resilient through different life stages and continues to appreciate life through both the ups and downs. You can't control what life gives you, but you can control what you do with it.
So what practical steps can you take to fall in love with your life? It can mean something different for everyone, but it doesn't have to be a grand gesture or a big change – the little things can matter more than you know.
Ask yourself, what is it that makes you happy to be alive. And then focus on the answer and pursue what does bring you joy – whether it's going out to explore the great outdoors, dancing the night away with your friends, or spending the night cozying up with a book in one hand and a glass of wine in the other.
Here are some other ways to help you fall back in love with life:
- Travel: whether it's a day trip, weekend getaway or a longer vacation, find opportunities to explore the world and all the different cultures, scenery, people and landscapes within it.
- Try new things: it may be easy to stick to your routine, but you never know if you'll like something unless you try it.
- Learn to say no more often: instead of people pleasing your way through life, learn when to set boundaries and say no. Let go of all the negativity in your life – you have the power to exercise the right to say no.
- Practice self-love and self-compassion: take time to give yourself some well-deserved TLC and don't beat yourself up when you make mistakes – it happens to all of us, so take it as a learning lesson and move on.
- Pursue meaningful relationships: a TED talk speaker shared that the secret to a long, happy life was relationships. Whether its focusing on your relationships with your family, friends or significant other, put more love and energy into those who are a positive light in your life.
Life is for living, so make a personal commitment to yourself to go out and chase what makes you happy to be alive. Here's to loving and making the most of life!