The Largest Subtropical Wilderness In The U.S. Is In Florida And It Is Breathtaking

The largest subtropical wilderness in Florida exists in Homestead and is truly stunning.
The Largest Subtropical Wilderness In The U.S. Is In Florida And It Is Breathtaking

With Florida being so close to the equator, we get beautiful year-round weather to enjoy the sunshine and some of the most gorgeous subtropical wilderness that the south has to offer. The largest subtropical wilderness in Florida exists in Homestead and is truly stunning - and huge.

The Everglades National Park stretches over 1.5 million acres of Florida wetland and natural scenery ready for you to explore - one of the largest in the world. With 3 separate entrances, there is no shortage of different and breath-taking views to soak up. You can access the north area of the park via the entrance in Miami or Everglades City, and the south section through the Homestead entrance.

The Everglades is packed with different ways to feed your wild side - you can come here to walk the hiking trails to observe elusive Florida Wildlife, canoe or kayak through some gorgeous waterways, fish in both fresh & saltwater, camp under the stars and get some of the best pics imaginable, ride across the marshes in an airboat, and even swim with alligators in an underwater alligator tour. 

The photo ops of the breathtaking Florida landscape are endless during your expeditions here. You won't want to pass over the shots you can snag for your Insta-Feed here - we really can't get enough of this natural Florida Gem; check out some gorgeous shots from The Everglades below:

There's so much to do here, there's no way that you'll do it all in a single day. If you want to see and explore it all, you can camp out at their Long Pine Key or Flamingo Campgrounds. Both places offer spots to pitch a tent or park your R.V. - and the starlit photos you can capture while you stargaze from your campsite are truly 1 in a million.

If you're feeling pretty brave and want to get closer to the wildlife - their website suggests going slogging; wet hiking through the marshy stretches of land where all the elusive wildlife live, or you can hold an alligator during your visit:

Or if you're feeling EXTRA brave, you can swim with the Gators in an Underwater Alligator Tour offered by Christopher Gillette - and he gets the MOST stunning photos to show everyone just how bad-to-the-bone you really are.

See Also:There Is A Place In Florida Where You Can Actually Swim With Alligators

Entry into Everglades National Park will cost $30 per vehicle for a 7 day pass into the gorgeous subtropical wilderness - individual entry for pedestrians or paddle-boaters is $15; If you plan to be a frequent Everglade go-er, they offer an annual pass for $55 as well. About 80% of your entry fee goes towards maintaining this beautiful park for years to come, while the other 20% goes towards helping other parks in the community.

If you're ready for a wet and wild adventure through Everglades National Park, they are located at 40001 State Road 9336 Homestead, FL 33034 and are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

For more information, to plan your trip, or view alerts pertaining to The Everglades National Park, check out their website here.

Disclaimer: We strongly advise that before you go swimming or visit a potentially hazardous location, you check for the most recent updates on potential hazards, security, water quality, and closures. If you do plan to visit a location, respect the environment.

More from Narcity

Comments đź’¬

Our comment section is a place to promote self-expression, freedom of speech and positivity. We encourage discussion and debate, but our pages must remain a safe space where everyone feels comfortable and the environment is respectful.

In order to make this possible, we monitor comments to keep spam, hate speech, violence, and vulgarity off our pages. Comments are moderated according to our Community Guidelines.

Please note that Narcity Media does not endorse the opinions expressed in the comment section of an article. Narcity Media has the right to remove comments, ban or suspend any user without notice, or close a story’s comment section at any time.

First and last names will appear with each comment and the use of pseudonyms is prohibited. By commenting, you acknowledge that Narcity Media has the right to use & distribute your content across our properties.