A Man Has Died After A Massive 20-Person Street Fight In This Canadian City

The man was rushed to hospital but later died from his injuries.
A Man Has Died After A Massive 20-Person Street Fight In This Canadian City
Senior Editor

A man has died after a violent street brawl in Montreal took a dark turn on Saturday evening. The man, who was 49 years old, is believed to have been struck in the head by a sharp object. He was taken to hospital by emergency services at the scene but succumbed to his injuries during the night.

The large and violent street fight is reported to have broken out on Saturday night, and is believed to have involved at least 20 people. The exact time that the terrifying brawl broke out is unknown, but Montreal police confirmed that they were called just after 9 p.m.

Officers at the scene found two people who were badly injured, including a 49 year old man and a 24 year old man.

Police confirmed the location of the street fight to be on Louis-Hémon St. near Bélanger St. in the Villeray neighbourhood, situated in the north-central part of the island. The roads were closed as police carried out their investigation. This is the city's eighth homicide this year.

By the time police officers had arrived at the scene, suspects involved in the brawl had fled. Emergency services found two injured men, including the 49-year-old who had been wounded in the head with a sharp object, and a 24-year-old who had been hit several times on his upper and lower body by a blunt object. Both men were taken to the hospital.

While the younger man’s injuries are not believed to be life-threatening, the older man did not recover and died on Saturday night in the hospital.

The Montreal major crimes unit is investigating the cause and circumstances of the fight, and the canine squad were also called in to hunt for clues. Police have yet to make any arrests related to Saturday night’s incident.

Helena Hanson
Senior Editor
Helena Hanson is a Senior Editor for Narcity Media, leading the Travel and Money teams. She previously lived in Ottawa, but is now based in the U.K.