A new video has emerged that is revealing more about Matthew Vincent Raymond, the Fredericton man accused of gunning down four people in the city last month.
Raymond allegedly fired a gun out of his apartment window killing two civilians and two police officers on August 10th, 2018. Footage which emerged today shows a seven-and-a-half minute interview between Raymond and blogger Charles LeBlanc.
It was filmed nearly two months before the shooting in front of the province’s legislature. Raymond can be seen protesting Muslim immigration. He makes a number of false statements about Muslims which LeBlanc calls him out on repeatedly.
One claim he makes is about Muslim immigrants in Newfoundland demanding the removal of a cross from a church sign. “I’ve heard in St. John’s they were told to take down the cross off a Catholic Church. It’s happening in Britain. It’s happening worldwide,” he said. There have been no reports of said situation occurring.
When LeBlanc asks where it is Raymond has gotten this information from, he simply replies “the internet” with no further explanation. Clearly irritated by Raymond’s statements, Leblanc asks him if he’s mentally ill, to which he replies he is not.
In the video, Raymond can be seen wearing a sandwich board with statements opposing Sharia Law. Wording on the board also criticizes Motion 103, a motion condemning Islamophobia that was passed in the House of Commons 10 weeks prior to the footage.
Brendan Doyle, the owner of a Fredericton cafe described what he thought of Raymond who was a former patron. He called him a lonely person who spent a lot of time playing shooter video games. He also claims he asked Raymond to stop coming into his coffee shop after he had shared his Islamophobic views and dislike for Syrian refugees with patrons.
Raymond's next court appearance is set for September 24 where he faces four counts of first-degree murder.