A McDonald's restaurant in Lethbridge, Alberta says it is taking "immediate action" after a customer was served cleaning chemicals in a cup instead of the latte she ordered.
The customer, a pregnant mother named Sarah Douglas, told CBC that she had to pull over on the side of the highway and immediately rinse her mouth after taking her first sip of the drink.
"I opened up the lid of the coffee and out pours this pungent smell of chemical. It wasn't a latte at all," says Douglas. The liquid was a watery brown colour.
Douglas says she drove back to the McDonald's and demanded an explanation. She found out that two cleaning lines were hooked up to the latte machine when her drink was made, and still hadn't been removed in all the time it took for her to drive back to the restaurant.
At first, the supervisor offered to make Douglas a new coffee. "Absolutely not, this is unacceptable," she replied, and was given the manager's phone number. The manager got the bottle of cleaning solution that was being fed into the latte machine. She took a photo of it and sent it to poison control.
Douglas learned that the cleaning chemical she ingested was a combination of "citric acid, phosphoric acid, methyl-trimethyl-3, and 2-butoxyethanol." Thankfully she didn't get sick, but is seeing her doctor to ensure that her baby is safe.
The franchise owner of the Lethbridge McDonald's has apologized to Douglas, and released the following statement - "McDonald's is renowned for its food safety protocols and I am sorry that this happened in my restaurant here in Lethbridge. What happened is that the machine was being cleaned as it is every morning. Unfortunately, the milk supply line was connected to the cleaning solution while this guest's drink was made."
The statement also claimed that a health inspector has surveyed the restaurant since the incident, and that the restaurant has taken "immediate action to review the proper cleaning procedures."