It's no secret that hand sanitizer is the new hottest accessory. Well, it turns out that we need to be cautious about storing it. On Thursday, May 21, Alberta Health Services announced that hand sanitizer can light on fire if left in hot places for too long. 

The warning came in their daily newsletter to their staff and the public.

In this particular update, they don't just give the public tips and tricks on how to buy the best hand sanitizer, they also tell us how to properly store it. 

Due to the alcohol content of hand sanitizer, we need to keep it away from hot places. 

"There is a potential fire risk to storing hand sanitizer in your car. In extreme heat, it can ignite due to its high alcohol content. Keeping it in the car for short periods of time such as when running errands is fine, but it should not be left in the car for long durations," read the release. 

Keeping a bottle in the car while popping in and out to run errands is fine, but not for extended periods like overnight or for a whole day. 

Fire isn't the only risk either. If left too long in hot places, the alcohol in the solution can "evaporate," causing it to lose its effectiveness. 

Seeing how hand sanitizer is the hottest item on the market right now, we simply can't have it going to waste. 

Though, there is a handy DIY recipe out there if you want to avoid the shops. 

 

In addition to this warning, the release also says what we should look out for when we go browsing for sanitizer

According to the release, we need to "ensure the product has an alcohol concentration between 60-90%." That range has been approved by the Public Health Agency of Canada, alongside the other big health agencies around the world. 

The World Health Organization also recommends that sanitizer solutions include hydrogen peroxide, so no kind of bacteria forms around the container. 

In a day and age where we're trying to be as clean and hygienic as possible, we don't need any extra bacteria. 

The AHS staff also said that everyone needs to read the list of ingredients on each bottle before buying. This will stop shoppers from ending up with a solution that will trigger allergies. 

Since most people are using hand sanitizer nowadays like it's going out of style, it's best to make sure the sanitizer stays safe and doesn't put ourselves and our belongings at risk by, you know, bursting into flames.

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Notifications
Favourites
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications