It’s time to take cover, Canada. According to Environment Canada, severe thunderstorm warnings for parts of BC and Alberta have been issued. This intense weather system will be bringing with it a number of threats including hail - so be sure to shelter your outdoor belongings. Here’s where the storms are expected to hit.
According to the Environment Canada website, a number of advisories have been put into place for several areas in BC and Alberta. The weather watches and statements include severe thunderstorms, tornados, hail, and strong winds.
So far, five areas in Alberta are under a watch for severe thunderstorms. According to these warnings, strong wind gusts, large hail, and heavy rain is expected.
The following areas in Alberta are currently under a severe thunderstorm watch:
- Rocky Mountain House - Caroline
- Okotoks - High River - Claresholm
- Nordegg - Forestry Trunk Road Highway 734
- Crowsnest Pass - Pincher Creek - Waterton Lakes Nat. Park
- Cardston - Fort Macleod - Magrath
Nine other places in Alberta are also under a weather advisory. These warnings are stating that conditions are favourable for funnel cloud development in the afternoon and the evening.
While it sounds scary, Environment Canada has stated that funnel clouds generated by “weak rotation under rapidly growing clouds” are not a danger near the ground.
The following Alberta areas are under the weather advisory:
- City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park
- Westlock - Barrhead - Athabasca
- Spruce Grove - Morinville - Mayerthorpe - Evansburg
- Red Deer - Ponoka - Innisfail - Stettler
- Lloydminister - Wainright - Vermillion - Provost
- Leduc - Camrose - Wetaskiwin - Tofield
- Fort Saskatchewan - Vegreville - Redwater - Smoky Lake
- Drayton Valley - Devon - Rimbey - Pigeon Lake
Along with Alberta, seven locations in BC are under a severe thunderstorm watch. In these impacted areas, the conditions are favourable for severe thunderstorms that could produce strong winds, large hail, and heavy rain.
Thunderstorms are anticipated to intensity by the afternoon.
The following BC areas are under a severe thunderstorm watch:
- 100 Mile
- Fraser Canyon
- Fraser Valley
- Okanagan Valley
- South Thompson
Weather has the ability to change suddenly, so be sure to visit the Environment Canada website for more information.