A tragic and frightening accident took place on a popular cruise line that is known to travel through Canada. According to officials, a baby died on a Royal Caribbean cruise after her grandfather accidentally dropped her from the 11th floor of the ship. The incident took place over the weekend. 

This article contains graphic content that might not be suitable for some readers. This article includes descriptions of violence. 

On Sunday, July 7, 2019, an 18-month-old American girl was playing with her grandfather in the dining hall on a Royal Caribbean cruise. One of the large windows was reportedly open in the eating area at the time. 

The grandfather allegedly sat his granddaughter on the open window, where she lost her balance and fell from the 11th deck into the waters. This occurred at around 5 PM local time.

At the time of the incident, the cruise ship was docked in San Juan, Puerto Rico. A spokesperson with the Port Authority told CNN that the child died upon impact. 

The father of the 18-month-old is currently an officer at the South Bend Police Department in Indiana. The department tweeted out their condolences stating that they were thinking of Officer Alan Wiegand and his family at this time. 

The death is now being treated as an accident and the girl’s body has been taken to a forensic unit in San Juan. 

At the time of the incident, the girl was traveling with her parents, siblings, and four grandparents. The ship they had boarded carried more than 4,500 passengers, including crew members. 

Royal Caribbean cruise is known for its worldwide voyages. While it travels to destinations including the Bahamas, Caribbean, and Mexico, it also travels to Canada and frequents places on the west coast in B.C. like Vancouver. 

Since the beginning of the year, popular cruise ships that travel through Canada have been making headlines for a wide variety of reasons. Most recently, a popular cruise line was fined $20 million for dumping garbage into the ocean.

Also this year, two cruise ships crashed into one another at the Vancouver harbour. Thankfully, no one was hurt, but the entire thing was caught on video. 

Start the Conversation
Account Settings
Log Out