BC Officially Has More Than 1000 COVID-19 Cases But Half Have Already Recovered
Plus fewer new cases were announced.
In their most recent update, officials announced there are now over 1,000 COVID-19 cases in B.C. However, some people are recovering. Half of all the COVID-19 positive patients are officially deemed recovered but the province is still at a critical moment.
On Tuesday, March 31, provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry announced B.C. has officially passed the 1,000 case marker with 43 new cases. The current total is 1,013.
She also said that another five patients had died due to the virus.
Henry also announced that 507 patients have now fully recovered. This brings the total recoveries to almost exactly 50% of all cases, in contrast to theon Monday, March 30.
That recovery number brings B.C. far in the lead compared to other Canadian provinces. However, the province also has different criteria in place for defining a recovery.
According to her report from Saturday, March 28, Henry said the province is confirming COVID-19 patients as having recovered if they have mild symptoms that stop showing after ten days in self-isolation.
Despite the change, the recovery rate is still large, and that's a source of hope.
Compared to the previous day, B.C. also had a much lower number of new cases. On Monday, March 30, there were 70 new cases confirmed. Just 24 hours later, only 43 tested positive.
"For right now, we need our people to be 100% committed. All in," said Dix, explaining that the next two weeks will be critical for flattening the curve in the province.
"We are at a critical juncture," added Henry.
Henry and Dix repeated the avoid groups, saying that people need to be careful to have at most only "inside, intimate" meetings and gatherings.
"Right now, those are very dangerous," she said.
Earlier in the day, the BCCDC tweeted that labs across the province have completed a total of
While there were concerns about running low on testing supplies earlier, B.C. health minister Adrian Dix said in recent updates that the province has received new supplies.
Henry repeated that locals really need to be careful, at least in the next few weeks. At the press conference, she said that she doesn't think we'll need to be under full-on lockdown for many months.
"We need to hold the course right now." But this is not forever, she said.