The Canadian government just made a gesture of good faith in the hopes of ending the Canada Philippines garbage dispute. According to a report by CTV, Canada has now agreed to pay the full cost of bringing 69 garbage-filled shipping containers back to Vancouver. However, officials have yet to reveal how much the shipment will cost.
Last week, CNN Philippines revealed a shocking quote from Duterte in which he said "I'll give a warning to Canada maybe next week that they better pull that (trash) out. We'll declare war against them, we can handle them anyway.” Taking those threats seriously, the Canadian government has responded nearly two weeks after the consideration of war.
Last month, Duterte had given Canada until May 15th to take back the containers, which are currently sitting in a port near Manila where they have been rotting for over five years.
It was initially reported that 103 containers holding a shocking 2,450 tons of garbage had been shipped to the Philippines between 2013 and 2014. The shipping containers were said to be recyclable materials; however, it was later discovered that the over 2,000 tons of garbage were not recyclable at all.
According to a government spokesperson, Philippines' President Rodrigo Duterte had discussed the issue of the containers with Canada on Monday night. Duterte has hit Canada with several biting remarks over the situation, even going as far as to say that he would handle the situation himself.
“I want a boat prepared. I’ll give a warning to Canada maybe next week that they better pull that thing out or I will set sail to Canada and dump their garbage there,” Duterte stated.
Duterte also invited Canadians to "eat the garbage" if they wanted to once it had returned to the country. “Celebrate because your garbage is coming home, eat it if you want to," Duterte said. It seems that Canada has finally had enough of Duterte's trash talk.