Almost 50 People Hospitalized After Major Gas Leak At Hotel In Canada
Some people are in critical condition.
A scary encounter has sent dozens of people to the hospital after a Winnipeg hotel had a carbon monoxide leak. As a result of the gas leak, 46 people have now been hospitalized. Paramedics are currently on scene.
According to CTV News, 15 people who were at a Super 8 hotel at 3760 Portage Avenue in Winnipeg are now in critical condition after a carbon monoxide leak at the property. The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service is on scene and is taking people to the hospital with oxygen bags.
Emergency crews were allegedly called to the hotel at around 10:19 AM today on Tuesday morning, when the automatic alarm showed there was carbon monoxide gas in the air.
John Lane, Chief of Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service told CTV News that out of 52 people, which included staff and even one dog, 46 have been taken to the hospital.
Of those, 15 were in critical condition, and five were considered stable. None of the victims required any resuscitation. At this time, the Winnipeg Animal Services is providing care for the dog.
The owner of the Super 8, Justin Schinkel, has told CTV News that at least one staff member received oxygen. At this time, those who have been impacted will be taken to different hospitals around the city.
The City of Winnipeg has since released a tweet stating that crews detected various CO levels throughout the building with some parts being “up to 385 parts per million.”
Alex Forrest, president of the United Fire Fighters of Winnipeg, told CBC that 10 to 20 parts per million is when carbon monoxide levels become dangerous to humans.
Manitoba Hydro is now attempting to determine the cause of the leak. Lane has stated that the building was completely ventilated, according to CBC.
As a result of the scary incident, eastbound lanes have been closed at St. Charles Street.