Ford Says 'Absolutely Not' To Americans Coming To Ontario Right Now
Ford has strong words for Trump as he calls to re-open borders.
It looks like Doug Ford is striking back against Donald Trump again. The premier was seen slamming Trump's recent suggestion of re-opening the border between Canada and America on Thursday afternoon. The Canada-US border restrictions were put in place almost a month ago, but officials think it is too early to lift it.
Trump has said that Canada is "doing well" in fighting COVID-19 and that the travel restrictions across the border will be one of the first lifted.
While Trump seems intent on getting things back up and running, Ford is expressing caution.
The province just extended the lockdown by, and are showing no signs of taking steps to reopen just yet.
"Trudeau should say no right away," Ford said on Thursday when asked what course of action the prime minister should take if President Trump were to move to reopen the borders. "Until we have this under containment, we need to keep our borders closed."
"We should have shut down the borders a lot sooner and put better screening at our airports," Ford continued.
"The answer is absolutely not. I don't want them [Americans] in Ontario. I want to protect the people of Ontario first."
Ontario is right on the border of the hardest-hit part of America, New York, making it a high risk to reopen borders until the virus is better contained.
On April 14, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also spoke out about the issue, stating thatwould stay in place to help limit the spread of COVID-19.
"Travel restrictions are going to remain extremely important in terms of containing the spread of COVID-19 in Canada and we're going to continue to work with the Americans and people around the world, to ensure that we continue with these restrictions," he stated.
However, this isn’t the first time Ford has called out Trump during the pandemic.
Earlier this month, the premier stated that he wasafter the president attempted to stop shipments of N95 masks from arriving in Canada.
Ford continued on to state that he would never rely on the president of the United States, or any other president or premier again when it came to manufacturing goods.
"As long as I'm premier, I will never, ever let this happen again to the province,” Ford stated in the press conference.
Since then, Ontario has launched the production of its own version of the, which Ford is helping to distribute across the province.
In addition, Alberta's premier Jason Kenney has taken steps toto Ontario earlier this week.
Ford took to Twitter on Thursday afternoon to thank Kenney and Alberta for donating the "much-needed medical supplies" stating that it was done in true Canadian spirit.