Kingston Reports Its First COVID-19 Case In 3 Weeks As Ontario Starts Reopening
All the city's past cases were resolved by May 6.
Kingston's unbroken streak is over. After three weeks of good news and zero infections, the city reported its first new COVID-19 case in three weeks on Tuesday, May 19. The region has been one of the least affected by COVID-19 in Ontario but has recorded its first infection since April 29.
Kingston region got on the reopening train earlier than most Ontario cities, beginning withas it had a much lower case count than other regions.
But it seems like it's not over just yet.
The Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox and Addington Public Health unit released the data, highlighting the first case in the city since back in April, which was found over the Victoria Day weekend.
According to the government of Ontario data catalogue of recent positive cases, a 20-year-old man was tested for the virus on May 16 and as to how he contracted the virus, it is still unknown.
It wasn't until May 18 that the KFL&A Public Health received notice of a positive result, according to Global News.
KFL&A Public Health medical officer Dr. Kieran Moore told Global that they believe the case was most likely acquired outside the area.
Narcity reached out to the unit but more information on the new case was not available at the time of writing.
According to Global, public health says the person had actually travelled outside of the Kingston area and ended up coming back infected with the virus.
While one new case may not seem the biggest deal, particularly if it was indeed acquired outside the community, Kingston's first case in weeks is notable as the province
Notably, as Premier Doug Ford was talking last week about reopening the province, chief medical officerthat health staff would have recommended that action if they felt Ontario was ready for it.
And in light of the new case, Moore stressed the need to be sensible and patient.
“We want our community to know the best way to stay safe is to stay local,” said Moore. “Stay vigilant and continue to monitor for symptoms. Get tested, if you do develop symptoms.”
The recent number brings the total to 62 cases in the region, 61 of which are already considered resolved. According to CTV News, those were all resolved by May 6, two weeks ago.
This news comes after Premier Ford decided tountil May 29 in order to continue with the social distancing advice.
Despite that extension, the province is still goingas long as numbers are kept relatively low.
Staff will hope the presence of new cases like this one is not a greater sign of what may be to come across the province.