Ontario's premier says the COVID-19 pandemic shouldn't damper your March break plans. Doug Ford said during a press conference on March 12 that families should travel and enjoy themselves during their time off. Ford was providing an update on his government's response to the outbreak.

Ford was asked for a comment on why Ontario is allowing kids and families to return from March break trips without issuing self-isolation.

"It can change, and it can change at any day," he replied. "But I just want the families and their children to have a good time."

"Go away, have a good time, enjoy yourselves, and we're going to be monitoring the situation, as it changes every single day. I just want families to enjoy themselves right now," Ford said

Ford made it clear that the health and wellbeing of all Ontarians are his government's top priority. He said it's important for provinces to come together and work as a team during such a critical time.

Ford was asked for his opinion on Trump's new travel restrictions and whether or not this could affect U.S. business with Canada.

In response, Ford said that he will be meeting with the deputy prime minister to make sure "the border is secure" and that they will be discussing border concerns in more detail on Friday.

CTV reported that Dr. David Williams, Ontario's chief medical officer of health, gave a warning on Wednesday to Canadians planning to travel abroad during March break. Dr. Williams asked people to consider the "risk factors" of their vacation plans.

"It's one thing to be in a very crowded international venue versus you're just going down and have an Airbnb somewhere and sit on the beach with your kids," Dr. Williams added.

Ontario school boards announced last week that they would be cancelling multiple class trips abroad. The trips were initially set to take place over March break.

Several Ontario post-secondary schools are now making preparations for possible closures due to COVID-19. Laurentian University has already closed and the University of Toronto is reportedly "likely" to close if the outbreak worsens.

The provincial government announced on Thursday that it would be opening the first wave of COVID-19 assessment centres over the next few days. The first set of them will be located in Toronto, Ottawa, as well as the York and Peel Regions.

Start the Conversation
Account Settings
Notifications
Favourites
Log Out