If you're hiking, be very careful where you pose for photos. Niagara Police are looking for a missing man after he slipped and fell into the fast-moving waters of the Niagara River on June 8. A 19-year-old male from St. Catherines still has not been found.

According to a media release by Niagara Police, at about 7:15 p.m. on Monday night, June 8, emergency personnel rushed to a call about a male in distress.

Police arrived at the river in the area of the Niagara Glen and the Niagara River Parkway and found that four males had gone for a hike and stopped to take some pictures on a rock.

According to the release, a 19-year-old man slipped off the rock and fell into the Niagara River.

Although it is not stated where along the river the man fell into, there are several hiking trails by the river that are popular with locals and visitors.

Police say that the part of the river which the male had fallen into is "very fast flowing with a strong current."

Help from all over the area is looking for the man. The attempted search and rescue includes both U.S and Canadian authorities.

At this time, the male has not been located. The police release suggests officers know his identity but are not releasing it until the incident is resolved.

Foul play is not suspected, as it's thought he slipped and fell.

Niagara Fire chief Jim Boutilier told the Niagara Falls Review on Tuesday afternoon: "Our crews were split up with parks police staff to walk the shores from one end of the glen to the other end to try to find the individual but, unfortunately, they did not."

The effort to find the man began on Monday and continued on Tuesday with the Niagara Regional Police marine unit searching through the river.

Niagara Parks Police and Niagara Helicopters are also conducting an aerial search of the area, according to the news release.

According to Niagara This Week, this incident comes just days after Niagara Parks Police had rescued another teen who found himself stranded over the weekend while hiking in an area nearby.

A firefighter was almost swept away in an effort to save him but thankfully they were both pulled to safety.

Police are asking anyone with information or saw what happened in this latest incident to contact detectives at 905-688-4111, extension 2200.

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications