This is not a good thing to do right now. A Brampton COVID-19 claim in which a worker told his employer he caught the virus via close contact has been found to be false. The 39-year-old man is being charged by Peel Regional Police after the business in question was actually closed as a health and safety response.

According to Peel Regional Police news release, on Monday, March 30 at around 9:17 a.m. officers were contacted by a business owner in Brampton.

The man had just recently shut down his business and had sent all his employees home for fear of the virus spreading.

That's because an employee had claimed before the weekend, on Friday, March 27, that he contracted the novel coronavirus.

He said he caught the illness after coming into close contact with a family member who had tested positive.

The worker had made the call on March 27. Three days later, the employer contacted police.

After a deep investigation, it turns out that he gave false information and there was no family member who was either exposed to the virus or sick from it.

Police charged the man in question with public mischief. He was released ahead of a future court date at the Ontario Court of Justice in Brampton. 

Narcity has reached out to Peel Regional Police for more information.

The name of the business, the store owner, or the employee who lied have not been released to the public.

Overall, you would imagine this may come as a relief to the store owner, but it's bound to be incredibly infuriating that all this fuss was caused by a false claim, particularly in this climate.

Surprisingly, though, this isn't even the first time in the last week that someone has pretended to have the disease, which is killing thousands of people worldwide.

A Hamilton McDonald's closed its doors after an 18-year-old woman lied about having COVID-19 so she wouldn't have to show up for work. She even went as far as forging a doctor's note.

It should not need writing that falsifying claims of having COVID-19 is no joke.

New cases keep cropping up in Ontario and the province set a new unwanted record of new occurrences in a single day with 351 new instances on Monday.

As things start to get more and more serious, Premier Doug Ford has even extended the state of emergency in the province to April 14 at the earliest.

This cover photo has been used for illustrative purposes only.

Start the Conversation
Account Settings
Notifications
Favourites
Log Out