Toronto Public Health has reported that city residents may have been exposed to two lab-confirmed cases of measles. The public may have been exposed to measles in Toronto on May 5th and May 8th at various spots around the city. Health officials have also released specific locations in which exposure to the measles virus could've been possible.
The city's health agency claims that the public may have been exposed to a case of travel-related measles on May 5th at Remely's Restaurant, located at 4830 Sheppard Avenue East in Scarborough, as well as at Terminal 1 of Pearson International Airport and Air Canada flight AC-848 from London's Heathrow Airport.
Three days later, on May 8th, the public may have yet again been exposed to measles at the Toronto Zoo, as well as at Terminal 1 of Pearson International Airport and Air Canada flight AC-849 from Heathrow, CityNews reports.
In both lab-confirmed cases of the virus, those infected were adults.
Toronto's Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Eileen de Villa, explained in a news statement, "There has been an increase in global measles cases and this affects what we are seeing locally. We are therefore reminding people to check their measles vaccination history, especially before any international travel."
She added, "Some adults born after 1970 may have only received one dose of measles containing vaccine and may therefore be more susceptible to measles when travelling to areas experiencing higher rates of measles."
"We encourage people to speak with their health care provider about measles before travelling to affected areas and if you have any concerns about a possible recent exposure to measles for you, or a member of your family.”
The exact times and dates of possible exposure are listed below. Please be aware that the details for each date are not directly associated with one case:
- Remely’s Restaurant, 4830 Sheppard Ave. E., between 10 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- Pearson International Airport, Terminal 1, between 6 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.
- Air Canada flight AC848, departed Toronto at 8:40 p.m. and arrived in London Heathrow airport, United Kingdom at 8:35 a.m. on May 6
- Toronto Zoo between 1:30 and 5 p.m.
- Pearson International Airport, Terminal 1, between 5 and 7:30 p.m.
- Air Canada flight AC849, departed London Heathrow airport at 2:10 p.m. and arrived at Pearson at 5 p.m.
Just last month, York Region Public Health reported a confirmed case of measles in Richmond Hill and Newmarket. Those who visited the following locations during the times listed may have also been exposed to the virus:
- Southlake Regional Health Centre - Emergency Department, 596 Davis Drive, Newmarket from Sunday April 14 at 5:30 p.m. to Monday April 15 at 5:45 a.m.
- Fountain Medical and Wellness Centre (including the Rexall Pharmacy and waiting areas for Advanced Cardiology, Altima Wellness Centre and The Interventional Pain Specialists Clinic), 9625 Yonge Street, Unit 2, Richmond Hill on Wednesday April 10 from 1:15 p.m. to 4:40 p.m. and Friday April 12 from 11:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Nando's Restaurant, 9625 Yonge Street, Unit 5, Richmond Hill on Wednesday April 10 from 2:35 p.m. to 4:55 p.m.
According to Dr. Karim Kurji, York Region's Medical Officer of Health, "Symptoms of measles can include high fever, cough, runny nose, sore eyes or sensitivity to light, small spots in the mouth or throat and a red rash on the face or body."