Over 300 High School Courses Are Being Cancelled Next Year And TDSB Blames Doug Ford
More classes may be cancelled as class sizes continue to rise.
Doug Ford has been making quite a few changes to the provincial budget in the past few months. With multiple changes being made to the education system of the province, one of the more notable changes was the increase in class size. Now, the TDSB has announced that over 300 high school classes will be cut within the next year and they say it's because of the changes that the Ford government has implemented.
Last month, the Ford government made thethat the average class size in Ontario would be increasing from 22 to 28 students per teacher. This announcement led to some negative feedback among teachers and parents as they worried about how these increased class sizes would affect both the teaching jobs as well as the student's education.
While the government assured that this would help to benefit the students during their initial announcements, the TDSB has made it clear that this is not the case. On Friday, the TDSB stated that more than 300 classes were being canceled over the coming school year due to the new larger class sizes.
Ryan Bird, a spokesperson for TDSB told CBC News that as the Ford government continues to reduce the number of secondary teachers in their schools it will continue to have a direct impact on the course options that are available for students across the school board.
While 300 classes are going to be canceled over the coming school year, the TDSB also warns that another 300 courses will also be canceled in future years if the average class sizes continue to rise throughout the next upcoming years.
Bird told CBC that a majority of elective courses are being canceled, while other electives will continue, but with combined grades. Bird also states that both library and guidance services will see reductions in the upcoming year.
187 compulsory courses, including English, Math, Science, Geography, and French have been affected by these increases in class size. While these compulsory courses are not being canceled, they will see larger class sizes and even combined grades. While 547 elective courses have also taken a hit.
Twitter users don't seem to be happy with the news of these cancellations. Many state that these rising class sizes that were implemented by the Ford government are affecting the quality of education that Ontario students are receiving.
However, amid all of these course cancellations, the class sizes throughout the TDSB are not rising as high as Ford first projected. While Ford's government expected class sizes for Grade 9-12 to rise to 28 students per teacher, the TDSB estimates that the 2019/202 school year will see class sizes rise by an average of 1.9 students, bring their classes up to 23.6 students per teacher.