Canada may be clamping down its borders, but it seems flights are still a problem. Peel Region paramedics are reportedly responding to Pearson Airport on Wednesday afternoon after a Toronto flight from Portugal was found to be carrying two passengers showing symptoms of COVID-19. The flight was due on Wednesday afternoon.

CP24 reported at 4:47 p.m. that emergency personnel were on their way to YYZ.

According to reporter Steve Ryan, the Air Transat flight landed in Toronto around half an hour earlier, at 4:13 p.m.

Apparently, paramedics were alerted to the potentially dangerous situation ahead of the flight landing.

There were 40 passengers on the flight in total, according to Ryan.

The flight in question was reportedly Air Transat flight 233 from Faro, Portugal, per Ryan.

Earlier on Wednesday, the owner of Air Transat had announced the carrier would be gradually suspending flights over the next fortnight, as shared by CBC.*

Transat is also no longer selling tickets for travel to most destinations in Europe and the U.S. before April 30.

Just earlier this week, it was confirmed that several WestJet flights, which either began or ended their journeys in Toronto, were carrying passengers who tested positive for the virus.

And it turns out that's not just happening in Ontario, either, as other flights landing around the country faced similarly volatile situations.

On Monday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced the pandemic is now so concerning that Canada will be closing its borders for the time being to anyone who is not a citizen or a permanent resident.

However, even some citizens and residents are nevertheless stuck abroad indefinitely, like one Canadian schoolteacher who is currently unable to return from Peru.

On Wednesday, the Region of Peel followed the province's lead in officially declaring a state of emergency as a result of the progression of the virus.

Ontario had made the same declaration on Tuesday.

The province suffered its first death thought to be related to COVID-19 on Tuesday as a 77-year-old man died in Barrie.

*This story has been updated.

NOW WATCH An Alberta Chemical Engineer Is Sharing A DIY Hand Sanitizer Recipe After Stores Sold Out (VIDEO)

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications