Spring is finally in full swing and with warmer weather comes loads of outdoor activities that Torontonians are able to enjoy. This weekend, in particular, is a busy one for the city. With the Cherry Blossom Festival at High Park kicking off, a Raptors tailgating party, and other activities, tons of road closures and delays are expected throughout Toronto. So if you are planning on driving throughout the city this weekend, make sure to be aware of all the closures that are listed below!
One of the main events that will be blocking off a chunk of the city this weekend is the Toronto Marathon which takes place between 6 AM and 3 PM on Sunday. The race is set to begin at Younge Street and Sheppard Avenue and will head towards the Don River and Humber Bay Park East. A big chunk of collector roads and local roads will be closed for a majority of the day. You can view a map of the race here.
The extensive road closures that are included as part of this marathon are:
• Yonge Street at or near Sheppard Avenue
• Yonge Street between Sheppard Avenue and Davisville Avenue/Chaplin Crescent
• Chaplin Crescent between Yonge Street and Oriole Parkway
• Oriole Parkway between Chaplain Crescent and Lonsdale Road
• Spadina Road between Lonsdale Road and Austin Terrace
• Davenport Road between MacPherson Avenue and Belmont Street
• Belmont Street/Aylmer Avenue/Rosedale Valley Road between Davenport Road and Bayview Avenue
• Bayview Avenue from Rosedale Valley Road to Lower River Street
• King Street East between Lower River Street and Sumach Street
• Eastern Avenue between Sumach Street and Front Street East
• Front Street East/Wellington Street between Eastern Avenue and John Street
• John Street between Wellington Street East and Front Street West
• Front Street West between John Street and Bathurst Street
• Bathurst Street between Front Street West and Fort York Boulevard
• Fort York Boulevard between Bathurst Street and Fleet Street
• Fleet Street between Fort York Boulevard and Strachan Avenue
• Strachan Avenue between Fleet Street and Remembrance Drive
The City of Toronto also warns of road closures for the Toronto Raptors tailgate and viewing party that is also taking place on Sunday from 7 AM until midnight. While many Torontonians will be celebrating the team, drivers want to be aware that Bremner Boulevard from Lakeshore Boulevard West to the east side of 25 York St. will all be closed for the duration of the day.
Of course, as many Torontonians are aware, it is also the opening weekend for the Cherry Blossom Festival in High Park. Narcity warned yesterday that throughout the entire weekend and into next week all roads throughout High Park will be closed to vehicles during the festival. Traffic delays are also expected near that area due to the influx of people who will be heading to the park to view the trees.
That's not all. The City of Toronto also warns of more road closures on Sunday due to the Manulife Paddle the Don event that will close down Bayview Avenue between Mill Street and Front Street East for the majority of the day. Drivers can expect these roads to be closed off from 8 AM until 6 PM.
On top of this, the Khalsa Day Parade in Etobicoke will also be taking place on Sunday and will be closing down roads for their parade route between 12 PM and 8 PM. The roads that will be shut down include:
• Humberwood Boulevard between Morning Star Drive and Humberline Drive
• Humberline Drive between Humberwood Boulevard and Finch Avenue West
• Finch Avenue West between Humberline Drive and Westmore Drive
• Westmore Drive between Finch Avenue West and Carrier Drive
The City of Toronto warns anyone who is planning on driving near these event areas to give themselves extra time as traffic delays are expected.