In a city as large and bustling as Toronto, commuters have to get used to a certain amount of disruption. That was the case again as crowds of people were left waiting due to TTC delays after service was suspended from Lawrence to St. Clair stations. Rather alarmingly, it sounds like the cause of the chaos was a person drilling a hole through the concrete into a TTC subway tunnel between Lawrence and Eglinton.

UPDATETTC spokesperson Stuart Green tweeted on Wednesday morning to say the damage caused by the "mishap". Green wrote: "Line 1 update: TTC overnight crews have repaired the punctured subway tunnel liner and service will not be impacted by yesterday's drilling mishap. For those wondering, a steel plate was fastened to the inside of the tunnel wall and the six-inch hole was filled with concrete."

Toronto Mayor John Tory told City News that the TTC will conduct a full investigation into the incident.

EARLIER: Green had tweeted on Tuesday, October 22 that the errant drilling was the result of a private contractor. It resulted in subway closures from Lawrence to St. Clair station, ahead of afternoon rush hour and on the day that the Toronto Raptors open their 2019-20 NBA season at Scotiabank Arena.

At 5:45 p.m., Green tweeted an update. "As of 5:45pm, we have crews ready to plug and grout the hole. Service back in approx 30 mins with reduced speed of 15km/h through the area northbound. Southbound should be unaffected. We will close the line at 10pm for emerg repairs. Sorry, Raps fans. But safety first."

Green had earlier explained that engineers were determining if there are any structural impacts.

"TTC Personnel are currently investigating if construction in the area had infiltrated the subway tunnel," he wrote. "Shuttle buses continue to run between York Mills and St. Clair."

In order to help with rush hour, dozens of buses have been ordered to plug the gap, according to Green. "We have 90 buses ordered to deal with afternoon rush hour," he added. "Reverse GO protocol is in effect. Ride GO north from Union Station on a TTC fare."

Of course, whatever the cause, the closures created a hugely frustrating situation for commuters on Tuesday afternoon during the rush hour.

Although the drilling issue is not the TTC's fault, having apparently stemmed from a private contractor, people are fed up with how chaotic it is to get onto a shuttle bus and head home.

People naturally took to Twitter to share their frustrations, as well as the growing concern for the safety of passengers as they wait for shuttle buses.

"God bless the @TTCHelps employees trying to wrangle the hoards at Yonge and St. Clair. The situation there is scary and unsafe with people fighting to get on shuttle buses," says one commuter on Twitter.

It is not known at the time of writing how long the closure will be in operation for. Make sure to keep an eye out for any updates but in the meantime, it's advised you try to avoid this area or leave early.

Regardless, get ready for huge crowds.

This article will be updated as more information becomes available. Narcity reached out to the TTC for more information but was redirected to tweets from the commission and its spokesperson.


There are stories everywhere. If you spot a newsworthy event in your city, send us a message, photo, or video @NarcityCanada on Twitter and Instagram.


Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Notifications
Favourites
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications