The top ten ranking for the best Canadian cities to find a job in fall 2018 has been released and the results are probably not what you expected. Big cities are typically believed to be home to the most opportunities, but in the current job market state of Canada, it doesn't look like that is the case.
READ ALSO: Vancouver Housing Prices Are Finally Dropping Significantly And We Are Shocked
BMO just released their 2018 quarterly report on the job market in Canada. It's titled, the Regional Labour Market Report Card, the report ranks Canadian cities based on their job markets.
Despite the fact that many Canadians may want to live in big cities such as Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, if you're currently on the lookout for a job, a smaller town might be a better bet, according to the rankings. "It’s interesting that the biggest cities—Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary—have slipped in the past year, while smaller cities have climbed the leaderboard," wrote Robert Kavcic, BMO senior economist, in the report.
Check out the top 10 cities for jobs in Canada right now, listed by province:
- Ottawa: Canada's capital city takes the spot for number one, jumping 20 spots from its ranking just one year ago. It is one of five cities in Ontario that made the top 10 rankings.
- Guelph: This city is ranked third overall in the country for its job market.
- Kitchener: The Ontario city took the fifth spot in the rankings, which is two spots lower than it was last year.
- London: This Canadian city jumped 18 spots from last years ranking, currently holding sixth place.
- Peterborough: The city rose significantly on the rankings from last year, moving from 18 places to land eighth for the best job market in Canada this year.
- Halifax: This city was the only one in the Maritimes that made it on to the top ten. Halifax was ranked ninth, up 22 spots from one year ago.
For more information on the study, see the full report by BMO here.