Newsom Says Rumors California Is Closing All Beaches & Parks Are Totally Bogus (VIDEO)
He "never got the memo"
Reports leaked a memo that California is closing all beaches and parks. And it's totally bogus. In a live press conference today, Governor Gavin Newsom shut down the rumors.
When asked about the expected statewide closures, Newsom replied "Bottom line — I never got the memo."
So are all of California's beaches and state parks being shut down? No.
However, Orange County is getting a time out.
He revealed he was ordering a "hard close" of Orange County beaches after a surge of approximately 80,000 people hit the sand and surf last week.
The Governor listed Orange County and Ventura as examples of what not to do during the health crisis. "We've got to get this right. Why undo all of the great progress?"
Despite the OC beach closures, Newsom encouraged local residents to get outside and get some fresh air in a safe way.
He told residents they could still get outside to see the sunset as long as they practiced safe social distancing and did not "linger" or "congregate."
Yesterday, OC Supervisor Don Wagner tweeted that while Newsom has the authority to close down public beaches, it is "not wise to do so."
“I fear that this overreaction from the state will undermine that cooperative attitude and our collective efforts to fight the disease,” he wrote.
In the next few weeks, we will talk about phase 2 out of the 4-step plan to reopen California, said the governor.
The second stage of reopening will include allowing low-risk, nonessential businesses to open their doors to the public again.
For now, the March 19 stay-at-home order is still in effect, as is the mandate for six feet apart social distancing.
"I'm passionate about your right and our collective responsibility. [This means] not only about your activity, but about keeping you safe," said Newsom.
He went on to say "I have to make this adjustment. I hope it's a very short term [one.]"