Ontario Police Forces Are Doing Random RIDE Checks To Crack Down On People Driving High This Week
Police are wasting no time when it comes to cracking down on impaired drivers after weed legalization today. This entire week police forces are going to be holding RIDE stops to check random drivers for weed consumption.
READ ALSO: Police In Canada Will Be Allowed To Demand Roadside Blood Samples From Drivers As Of Next Week
The RIDE check stops are going to be set up on Ontario roads all across the province and police will be asking every driver if they've had weed before driving, meaning they can catch you even without pulling you over or analyzing your driving.
Ottawa Police was one of the first police forces to announced that RIDE checks would be happening all week, and they also mentioned in their release that there would be a MEGA Ride involving a number of Ontario forces at some point this week.
Ottawa didn't describe how exactly officers would be screening drivers at these stops, but some people and reporters who have seen and gone through them gave a little insight into the process.
CTV Ottawa viewer photo of Ottawa Police pot check in south endDrivers asked if they consumed dopecars pulled over#ottnews#Ottawa#ctvottawapic.twitter.com/GYBYFkjMzt
Ottawa Police conducting RIDE program on Riverside. #cannabislegalization#pot#ottnews@ctvottawa@CFRAOttawapic.twitter.com/tcMwWQh2YH
According to their tweets, Ottawa police are simply asking drivers if they have consumed marijuana that day. Obviously if you answer yes they will take steps to determine if you are currently high, but otherwise, they will have to rely on their training to figure out if you are actually impaired or not.
READ ALSO: These Unexpected Things Are All Considered "Distracted Driving" In Canada And Will Definitely Get You Fined
Ottawa Police say they have hundreds of officers with specialty training in field sobriety training, but a lot of people are still waiting to see how those tests will happen.
Ontarians are still awaiting more details on the MEGA ride program that will involve multiple police forces and MADD chapters from across the province that is scheduled to take place at some point over the next few days.
More from the Canadian Cannabis Legalization series:
- A Neighbourhood In Toronto Just Completely Banned Smoking Marijuana In Public
- Canada Post Workers Are Prepared To Strike On Monday And Now People Are Freaking Out About Not Getting Their Weed
- The Toronto Neighbourhood With The Most Pot Smokers Was Just Revealed And It's Not At All Where You Thought It Would Be
- This Is What You Need To Know For Marijuana Use By Province In Canada After October 17th
- The Canadian Province With The Most Pot Smokers Was Just Revealed And It's Not At All Who You Thought It Would Be
- We Bought 30 Grams Of Legal Weed Online In Ontario And We Learned Some Very Concerning Things
We Brought 30 Grams Of Legal Weed Online In BC And This Is What We Learned