Ontario Is Allowing More Retail Stores To Open In The Coming Days
Things are heading in the right direction! Premier Doug Ford shared some good news during his daily press briefing on May 6 about the next stage of Ontario's reopening plan and it involves a big step for retail stores. The province will allow retail stores with street entrances to finally reopen for curbside pickup starting on Monday, May 11.
While Ford spoke to reporters on Wednesday afternoon, he shared news of several business reopenings in the province, including retail stores that open out onto the street.
"As of Monday, May 11, at 12:01 a.m., retail stores with a street entrance will be allowed to provide curbside pickup. They will have to respect public health measures and the same workplace safety guidelines as well," said the Premier.
"We'll continue working to get more businesses and services online as safely as we can. I want to be clear: all public health measures remain in place and will be strictly enforced."
As tests in the province continue to show a decrease in positive outcomes, Ford believes the province is heading in the right direction and is willing to take another step.
This news comes weeks after Ford announced a new framework as to how stores will begin to safely reopen when things start to get better.
According to a release by the provincial government, all retail stores with a street entrance are now allowed to offer curbside pickup and delivery.
Along with retail stores, Ford announced that other businesses reopening over the weekend include garden centres, nurseries, hardware stores, and safety supply stores.
The first wave would start with garden centres and nurseries on May 8 which would follow current guidelines set at grocery stores.
Hardware and safety supply stores would be next to open on May 9, even allowing in-store payment and purchases, according to the statement.
Ford was asked in the briefing if he was concerned that Toronto would not be able to control shoppers due to the number of downtown stores that have street entrances.
He suggested that although the downtown core may be busier, other areas like Etobicoke, Scarborough and North York "wish" they had people in line for their stores.
Meanwhile, according to CityNews' Cynthia Mulligan, Ford also suggested that restaurants in the province may be able to reopen for business sooner rather than later.
As always, Ford stressed how important it is for Ontarians to keep following health advice.
"We will move with cautious optimism."
The premier offered other good news to residents earlier this week about the upcoming Victoria Day weekend.
When asked by a reporter if Ontarians will be able to go outside during the holiday, Ford said, "Yes, you will."
He also hinted at giving residents the go-ahead to visit their cottages over the long weekend, as long as everyone continues to do their part.
"We'll have some good announcements moving forward this week," Ford said on May 5.
However, it's worth noting that Ontario's state of emergency has just been extended by another two weeks.