Breakup? Bad day? Death of your favourite fictional character? We've all been there. Sometimes, there's no better way to cheer yourself up other than an extra scoop of your favourite ice cream. Actually make that an entire tub of it. With a slice of cake. Okay maybe that's just me.
While Ottawa's been stepping up on our ice cream game lately, we haven't forgotten about desserts. From Hong-Kong style dessert places to classic chocolatiers, we actually do happen to have it all. So if you didn't know, now you know.
If you're in the mood to try an Instagram-worthy way to eat your feelings, here are 7 Ottawa dessert spots you need to try.
1. Cococo Chocolaterie Bernard Callebaut // 265 Dalhousie Street[embed]https://www.instagram.com/p/7ESVsIE7qD/?taken-by=hangoutottawa&hl=en[/embed]
Artisan chocolate, fresh gelato, macarons and soft-serve all in one place. Their products are made from all-natural (often organic) ingredients with no preservatives from their hometown factory in Calgary. The only bad thing about this place is that you probably won't be able to decide what you want.
2. Hangout Ottawa // 839 Somerset Street West[embed]https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ6IWNnA1jL/?taken-at=4201248&hl=en[/embed]
The most creative Asian style dessert place in Ottawa. Hangout is a staple. They're famous for their brick toasts, bubble teas, and shaved ices - and if you haven't tried any of those desserts ever, Hangout should be at #1 on your Ottawa food bucket list.
3. Stella Luna Gelato Cafe // 1103 Bank Street[embed]https://www.instagram.com/p/8OH73ENqRF/?taken-by=lifeofpieottawa&hl=en[/embed]
The hometown hero. The family owned Stella Luna has been an Ottawa gelato favourite for years, and it's also been voted in the Top 5 desserts in Ontario on UrbanSpoon. While their gelato is what makes them famous, they also serve amazing waffles, crepes, and specialty Italian coffees.
4. Life of Pie // 1134 Bank Street[embed]https://www.instagram.com/p/5C0_Huw2Ra/?taken-by=simplybiscotti&hl=en[/embed]
Life of Pie is called "A Scratch Bakery and Cafe" for a reason - every thing is hand made. A family owned bakery, all of the food here is made from local ingredients. Aside from their famous pies, you can also find cookies, cupcakes, squares, and scones - all on a daily changing menu.
5. Simply Biscotti // 354 Preston Street[embed]https://www.instagram.com/p/BJmD0B9hMLR/?taken-at=1043455272384244&hl=en[/embed]
That cute little dessert shop in Little Italy. Open till 10pm (for your late night dessert runs) Simply Biscotti has a wide variety of different Italian cakes, desserts, pastries, and coffees. Make sure to try the Lobster Tail and the Fruit Tart - the best items always sell out the fastest.
6. Oh So Good Cafe // 25 York Street[embed]https://www.instagram.com/p/tc1mWhHtCx/?taken-at=257344717&hl=en[/embed]
Cake cake cake cake. That's all I have to say. Oh So Good has a convenient downtown location and a menu full of different types of cakes and drinks. My advice? Bring your friends and make sure you all order a different kind to share - this way you get to try everything.
7. A Thing For Chocolate // 1262 Wellington Street West
Classic desserts and good coffee. A small cafe with the perfect first-date vibe, A Thing For Chocolate makes all their crepes right in front of you with in-house batter and fresh sauce. Their desserts are simple and homely - perfect for a fall evening.