COVID-19 has arrived in the capital. On Wednesday morning, the Government of Ontario confirmed that five new cases of the virus had been diagnosed in the province. A man in his 40s is now the first person confirmed to have novel coronavirus in Ottawa.
According to a new update from Ontario's Ministry of Health, a man in his 40s has become the first person in Ottawa to be formally diagnosed with COVID-19.
The report states that the male had recently travelled internationally, and was receiving treatment from Ottawa Public Health (OPH) and Ottawa Hospital.
The person is believed to have spent time in Austria recently and is now self-isolating at home.
This comes as an additional four people in Ontario were confirmed to have contracted the virus. They're located across Toronto, Sudbury, Hamilton and York.
Until now, there have been no reported cases of novel coronavirus in Ottawa. That said, the city’s medical officer of health previously predicted it was a matter of "when" not "if" the virus would arrive in the capital.
Speaking to reporters last week, Dr. Vera Etches said, "I would say it certainly is probably just a matter of time until we get a case in Ottawa related to travel.”
BREAKING: Ottawa has its first confirmed case of COVID-19. Health officials say a man in his 40s is in self-isolat… https://t.co/ANPuXrX4Mu— Josh Pringle (@Josh Pringle) 1583939404.0
In a statement on their website, OPH explains, "If a suspected or confirmed case of novel coronavirus were to be identified in Ottawa, Ottawa Public Health would work with the Ministry of Health, Public Health Ontario Laboratory, and local hospitals in the management of the case and any contacts."
Ontario currently has 41 confirmed positive cases of the virus. An additional 465 locals are also waiting for test results to return.
FYI @CPHO_Canada @GovCanHealth now advise that ALL travellers returning to Canada from ANY destination are to monit… https://t.co/FFn8DMm2B8— Ottawa Public Health (@Ottawa Public Health) 1583861414.0
This comes only hours after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced a $1 billion plan to combat COVID-19 in Canada.
Funding will be distributed across the country and will aim to take the pressure off local healthcare systems, protect workers and businesses, and provide additional funds for research.
Trudeau explained, “Nobody should have to worry about their job if they have to be quarantined. Nobody should have to lay off an employee because of the virus.”
“Our government is here for you. We will make sure you have everything you need.”
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau outlines Canada’s #COVID19 response: https://t.co/kiKSwdXx4O— CanadianPM (@CanadianPM) 1583934635.0
You can find all of Ottawa Public Health’s COVID-19 updates and information by clicking here.