Some Canadians Still Hospitalized In Japan As Quarantined Passengers Touch Down In Canada

They have another quarantine to get through.
Some Canadians Still Hospitalized In Japan As Quarantined Passengers Touch Down In Canada

As Canadians who returned from Wuhan, China are let out of quarantine, more are on the way. Some Canadian passengers who were stuck on the quarantined cruise ship have returned to begin their next 14-day isolation period. However, some passengers who tested positive for COVID-19 are still in Japanese hospitals.

According to Global Affairs Canada, 129 Canadians arrived back in the country at around 2:00 AM on February 21. None of those passengers were exhibiting symptoms.

As before, the returning residents were screened at CFB Trenton. They were then taken by bus to the NAV Centre to commence their mandatory two-week stay.

The flight crew from the plane will also be quarantined, as reported by CBC News.

"The Government is pleased to have repatriated more than 500 Canadians and their family members from areas affected by the novel coronavirus abroad, including those who have been quarantined on the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan," François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Foreign Affairs said in a statement.

However, while some people have been able to return to Canada, those who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 have to remain in Japanese hospitals. 

In total, 47 out of 256 Canadian passengers tested positive for the virus aboard the Diamond Princess.

Canadian Ambassador to Japan, Ian Burney said in a tweet that these people will continue to receive consular support.

The Diamond Princess quarantine officially ended on February 19. However, according to a statement from Princess Cruises, disembarkment will occur over the next few days as testing for the virus takes 48 to 72 hours.

In total, 624 cases of coronavirus were linked to the cruise ship, making it at one point the second most contagious place on Earth.

Within Canada, there has been a sixth presumptive case of coronavirus sent for testing in British Columbia.

Overall, there have been eight confirmed cases within the country.