Months after the craze of the Starbucks Unicorn Frappuccino, the Mermaid Frappe has arrived. Released just yesterday, this mystical, whimsical drink has taken Mexico by storm.
By the way, it's nothing like the unofficial "Secret Menu" Mermaid Frappe that blew up back in may. It's better.
The icy, sweet drink is a made of a green melon frappe base topped with whimsically blue vanilla whipped cream, all sprinkled with a good helping of sparkling blue and pink sugar crystals and shiny violet sugar pearls. I'm dying just describing how beautiful this Starbucks concoction is.
The only catch is...you can only get it in Mexico. I mean, you could fly to Mexico to get the drink... OR you can make it yourself! Here's the recipe for the Starbucks Mermaid Frappe and it's stupid easy to make.
For the Frappucino:
- 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup ice
- splash of milk (approx 1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Honeydew Melon syrup
For the topping:
HOW TO MAKE IT
1. In a blender, add all the Frappucino ingredients and and blend until "frappe" consistency. You can add more milk or ice depending on how slushy you like it. Pour into a Starbucks cup and set aside.
Tip: Keep it in the fridge or freezer while you make your whipped cream.
2. With a hand mixer or stand up mixer, whip the whipping cream with the confectioner's sugar (sifted) and vanilla extract. When you get soft peaks, drip in the blue food colouring and whip together until you get firm peaks.
Tip: Just in case you don't know what soft or firm peaks are, click here.
3. Optional: If you want to be extra fancy and get that perfect whipped topping the same as Starbucks, you can use a large open star-shaped piping nozzle to create the same look. Insert the piping nozzle into a sealed corner of a piping bag or Ziplock, then add the blue whipped cream. Snip the same corner of the piping bag and begin piping onto the Frappe in circular motions.
4. Sprinkle on the pink and blue sugar crystals and the violet sugar pearls, and you're done!!!