Each new year is supposed to be a time for hope and excitement. For one family, though, it has begun in terrible tragedy. A Sudbury car crash took the lives of three young children on the morning of January 1, 2020. All of the kids were under 12 years old.
The incident happened at around 8:48 a.m. on Highway 17 west of Sudbury, Ontario, on New Year's Day. An Ontario Provincial Police release states a vehicle struck a rock cut, which caused the crash.
Two of the children, Destiny Osagie, 11, and Flourish Osagie, 10, died at the scene, say police. Six-year-old Britney Osagie later succumbed to her injuries in hospital.
OPP media officer Constable Michelle Coulombe told CBC News that two other passengers sustained injuries while the driver was unhurt.
"There's a median that separates the eastbound lanes and westbound lanes," Coulombe said. "The westbound lanes are just east of the Hwy. 144 interchange and there's a rock cut on one side, and that's what the vehicle struck."
Coulombe confirmed to Narcity that alcohol has been ruled out as a factor in the incident.
An eyewitness account given to CTV News paints a tragic picture of the incident.
#NipissingWestOPP- Sudbury Det. Single vehicle collision claims 3 lives (truck & trailer are cleanup crew - not inv… https://t.co/7A5Ok9nmdt— OPP North East Region (@OPP North East Region)1577907727.0
Kevin Vaillancourt was passing through Sudbury on a long journey back to Alberta when he came across the accident.
He says he turned a corner to find a woman in the middle of the road asking him to stop. He realized she was holding a small girl in her arms.
While trying to calm the woman, he noticed a young boy lying on the road and found the male child had no pulse.
"I’ve shed many tears today. I've called everybody I can think of to talk to. I don’t plan on sleeping tonight. I'll have a hard time sleeping. Some way, somehow we'll get through it," Vaillancourt said.
The OPP say the 3 victims of Wednesday’s fatal crash near Sudbury were children, all from Chelmsford, Ont.: Destiny… https://t.co/0rnPWjBMcn— CBC News Alerts (@CBC News Alerts)1577985958.0
He added he will be utilizing the OPP's victim services to help him get over the mental trauma of the incident.
The OPP had temporarily closed a part of Hwy. 17 between Hwy. 144 and Municipal Road 55 for the investigation but reopened by 4 p.m.
It's not sure what exactly happened for the accident to occur but OPP investigators will continue to look into the tragic incident.
Unfortunately, this is far from the first fatal accident on the roads during Ontario's winter so far, though it was one of the first of the new year.
The province has seen horrible accidents due to the weather, with massive pile-ups on highways becoming a tragic theme.
Ontario's Hwy. 401, for instance, saw a chaotic crash leave one man dead at the scene. There was also the tragic instance of a tow truck driver being struck and killed during a rescue back in the storms of November.