11 Ontario Licences You Didn't Know You Could Get

Good to know.
11 Ontario Licences You Didn't Know You Could Get

Do you ever wonder what other types of licences you could get in Ontario other than a driver's licence? You're probably familiar with recreational hunting and fishing licences, but what else is there?

READ ALSO: 10 Surreal Places In Ontario You Need To Visit At Least Once In Your Life

I'm not sure when you would ever need some of these (unless of course it's required for your job or profession), but it's always good to know that you have options, right?... Here's a list I've compiled of 12 Ontario licences you probably didn't know you could get, just for fun:

Enhanced driver's licence

An enhanced driver's licence is an upgrade to a regular Ontario driver's licence that can serve as a travel document when crossing the United States border by road or water. You would still need a valid passport to enter the United States by air.


  • proof of Canadian citizenship with residency in Ontario
  • valid Ontario driver's licence (in good standing)
  • no travel restrictions
  • $40 upgrade fee

More information here.

Photo cred - Project Gridless

Licence to practice falconry

Falconry is the regulated practice of training predatory birds to hunt small game. Only Ontario native birds (like bald eagles, peregrine falcons, snowy owls, etc.) and non-indigenous birds (prairie falcons, European kestrels, feruginous hawks, etc.) are allowed for use.

Newcomers to falconry must first obtain an apprentice falconry licence, which entails apprenticeship under an experienced falconer, as well as 30 hours of combined field/classroom instruction (over a period of 15 months including 2 Octobers, which are hunting seasons).


  • To hunt with native birds, you'll need:

    • small game hunting licence
    • identification bands on each bird
    • a log book
    • an apprentice, general or commercial falconry licence (not required for hunting with non-indigenous birds)

More information here.

Licence to transport live fish

A licence is required to transport live fish taken from Ontario waters. The licensing system is in place to prevent the introduction of invasive fish species in Ontario lake communities. You would need this license to run a competitive fishing event or to operate a live-release boat.This licence is particularly useful for those who are looking to pursue a career in the fisheries industry.


  • valid recreational fishing licence

More information here.

Licence to hunt raccoon at night

There isn't an actual licence specifically for hunting raccoon in Ontario, but one would still need a small game licence or trapping licence to do so. Only Ontario residents can hunt raccoons with a firearm at night, and there are a set of provincial rules that must be followed as well. You also must licence a dog for hunting at any ServiceOntario centre.


  • valid Ontario small game licence or Ontario trapping licence
  • at least one dog licensed for hunting must accompany you
  • various gun restrictions
  • hunting is only permitted during open season for raccoons

More information here.

Licence to test drinking water

In Ontario, one must be accredited and licensed to test drinking water. Just to clarify, the water in this case isn't tested by actually drinking it! This licence is particularly useful for those who are looking to pursue a career in water quality and treatment.


  • successful completion of an accreditation process
  • related experience and educational degrees

More information here.

Photo cred - leylandcecco

Licence to trap wild animals

A trapping licence is required to trap animals and sell their fur. The practice of trapping is one that has historical roots in Ontario. As a licensed trapper, you are also allowed to treat and sell your own animal pelts without a separate licence or registration. Both adults and youth (as young as 18 years old) are allowed to participate.


  • successful completion of a required trapping course (32-hr classroom instruction, 8-hr hands on pelt prep and trap setting)
  • Ontario resident status or Canadian citizenship
  • a valid hunting/fishing Outdoors Card

Photo cred - roadtrekingartist

Licence to construct or operate a mill

If one day you wake up and decide you'd like to construct a mill, then you'd need a mill licence. It's required for any production that consumes forest resources in Ontario, including pulp and paper.


  • business plan outlining your ability to finance, operate, and manage your proposed mill facility
  • analysis showing the source, species and volume of forest resources required to operate your mill

More information here.

Licence to apply pesticides

In Ontario, you'd need a pesticide exterminator licence to apply any pesticides commercially or on any property that you don't own. So if you ever considered working for a lawn care company or a farm, this might be useful to you.


  • successful completion of a pesticide certification course
  • be physically fit and at least 16 years old
  • minimum Grade 10 education

More information here.

Licence to collect fish for scientific study

A fish research licence is required for anybody who is looking to collect fish for scientific or educational studies in Ontario. All you need to do is fill out an application form that outlines the purpose of your project, acquire a written letter from your school, and complete a risk assessment questionnaire.


  • completion of various documents, including an application form, letter from your educational institution and a risk assessment questionnaire

More information here.

Licence to buy, sell or harvest bait

A commercial bait licence is necessary if you're looking to harvest, but or sell baitfish or leeches. Upon obtaining the licence, you would be restricted to 48 species of baitfish.


  • To sell bait: $148.60
  • To harvest bait: $297.20
  • complete an application form and submit to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry

More information here.

Licence to use wood from Crown land for personal use

A fuelwood licence is required if you are looking to use wood from the Crown land for firewood or building projects. This licence is particularly useful for those looking to camp in the Crown lands.


  • fuelwood/building products license
  • must pay Crown timber charges (per cubic metre of wood)

More information here.

Follow us on Snapchat:narcitytoronto

More from Narcity

Comments 💬

Our comment section is a place to promote self-expression, freedom of speech and positivity. We encourage discussion and debate, but our pages must remain a safe space where everyone feels comfortable and the environment is respectful.

In order to make this possible, we monitor comments to keep spam, hate speech, violence, and vulgarity off our pages. Comments are moderated according to our Community Guidelines.

Please note that Narcity Media does not endorse the opinions expressed in the comment section of an article. Narcity Media has the right to remove comments, ban or suspend any user without notice, or close a story’s comment section at any time.

First and last names will appear with each comment and the use of pseudonyms is prohibited. By commenting, you acknowledge that Narcity Media has the right to use & distribute your content across our properties.