Many people, and particularly children, like to dip in a pool to cool off during the summer months in Ontario, but unfortunately even this has its hazards. In an alarming incident on Tuesday afternoon, more than a dozen children had to be treated by paramedics after a Burlington pool chemical spill. One of the kids was transported to hospital in serious condition.
According to CBC News, emergency services were called to the LaSalle Splash Park pool just after 2 p.m. and 14 people were treated by paramedics at the scene. A total of eight ambulances attended the scene, along with one incident commander and a mobile command post.
Paramedic services chief Greg Sage said six of those people were taken to hospital in stable condition, while one was in "more serious condition."
"All of them [were] complaining of inhalation-type injuries, nausea, vomiting, light-headedness, decreased level of consciousness," Sage added.
14 children assessed by @HaltonMedics207 after inhaling chlorine at Lasalle Splash Park in #BurlOn. 6 were transpor… https://t.co/PHqo7pMmGo— DR (@DR)1564518184.0
A tweet from Burlington Police suggested that a "possible equipment malfunction" may have been the cause of the spill.
Halton Regional Police Inspector Ivan Lortie added: "It appears that there was some kind of inadvertent chemical injection of chlorine into the pool."
.@HaltonMedics207 assessing multiple patients after incident at a @cityburlington pool. @BurlingtonFire crews testi… https://t.co/Fuhy5O06ak— Andrew Collins (@Andrew Collins)1564511697.0
According to the City of Burlington's website, LaSalle Splash Park ranges in depth from 0.5 feet to 2.5 feet and boasts interactive water equipment alongside a wading pool.
While it's unclear if this incident is related, Heath Canada issued a warning to swimmers earlier this month about the presence of bacteria and virus in pools.