Search on Narcity

Father Of Two-Year-Old Girl In Ontario Amber Alert Now Faces Multiple Charges

Three other suspects were arrested in connection to the abduction.
Toronto Staff Writer
Father Of Two-Year-Old Girl In Ontario Amber Alert Now Faces Multiple Charges

The father of Heather McManus, the two-year-old girl who became the subject of an Ontario Amber Alert on Thursday morning, is now facing a number of charges in connection to the abduction. According to The Toronto Star, Shawn Jason McManus has been charged with abduction of a person under sixteen, assault, uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm, uttering threats to destroy or damage property, and breaking and entering. McManus is currently being held for a bail hearing.

CTV News reported on Thursday afternoon that officers were called to an address on Bissett Avenue after being notified of an ongoing abduction and assault.

“The estranged father broke into the residence through the rear door. The suspect was confronted by the mother and another resident who were both assaulted and threatened,” police said according to CTV.

“The suspect grabbed the two-year-old child and fled the residence in a vehicle with three other people,” the statement continued.

Constable Jerome Stewart, a spokesman for the Hamilton police, stated on Thursday that his department received word from Brantford police that the child and father could’ve fled to Hamilton. The tip turned out to correct, and police located the girl in the city shortly after 4:00 AM.

Officers then spent the better part of an hour coercing the 37-year-old father to surrender to police. Thankfully, negotiations were successful. The man eventually handed over his daughter, bringing an end to the Amber Alert which had been issued around 3:00 AM on Thursday morning.

Before receiving the tip-off about the father, police arrested three other suspects at a traffic stop at around 2:00 AM in the morning.

Police stated that the two-year-old girl has since been reunited with her other family members, and the four people arrested were handed over to Brantford police.

Recommended For You