EN - News

Suspect In Wanzhen Lu's Kidnapping Turns Himself In To York Regional Police

37-year-old Abdullahi Adan, of Toronto, has turned himself in to York Regional Police

After a Canada-wide warrant was issued for his arrest on Monday afternoon, York Regional Police say that 37-year-old Abdullahi Adan, of Toronto, has turned himself in. Adan is the only suspect identified by police of those involved in the violent kidnapping of 22-year-old Chinese international student Wanzhen Lu in Markham, Ontario on March 23rd.

York Police released two photos of Adan on Monday. Adan was one of four suspects who abducted Lu from a black Dodge van in the underground parking garage of a condominium. One of the suspects was armed with a stun gun that was used to shock Lu and force him into the vehicle. 

Now, it is revealed that 37-year-old Adan is in police custody, as the three other suspects remain at large. Adan was wanted across Canada on charges of kidnapping, forcible confinement, assault with a weapon and assault. "York Regional Police will continue to dedicate significant resources to find the additional suspects, as they are still at large and considered armed and dangerous," their statement reads.

"Abdullahi ADAN, 37yrs from Toronto who was wanted in this ongoing investigation, turned himself in overnight," York Regional Police revealed on Tuesday morning. "He has been charged and will be appearing in the Newmarket courthouse located at 50 Eagle Street this morning for a bail hearing."

UPDATE- WARRANT ISSUED FOR SUSPECT IN ARMED KIDNAPPING IN MARKHAM: A Canada-wide arrest warrant has been issued forAbdullahi ADAN, 37 of Toronto, believed to be suspect #3 involved in the armed kidnapping of a 22-year-old man from Markham. 3 other suspects still outstanding pic.twitter.com/Zmph43EGs5

April 1, 2019

READ ALSO: 22-Year-Old Markham Student Wanzhen Lu Found Alive After His Release From Captivity

York Regional Police Sgt. Andy Pattenden says that there is no known connection between Lu and Adan. Police urge the outstanding suspects to "seek legal counsel and turn themselves in." 

The van used in Lu's kidnapping was located by police on March 24th at an undisclosed location. Two days later, a 35-year-old man was taken into custody, as it was believed that he was in some way connected to Lu's kidnapping. The man was released unconditionally, as Sgt. Pattenden revealed that there was not enough evidence to lay criminal charges.

As for Lu, police say that he is healthy and recovering well from the traumatic incident. He was examined in a North York hospital last week, after he was released by his abductors in Gravenhurst, Ontario. Lu was assessed for minor injuries and has since reunited with his family, who arrived in Toronto from China.