A man had the fright of his life after walking into a condo elevator on Wednesday night. Fire crews were quick to hatch a daring rescue mission after a man became stuck in a Toronto condo elevator that free fell in the city’s downtown core. According to CBC, emergency crews were called to a 25-storey residential building at 88 Bloor St. E. around 6:40 p.m. after responding to a report that the elevator had dropped down a few stories. 

Global News reported that the man entered the shaft on the 14th floor when a cable on the machinery snapped.

The man fell for at least a few stories, before becoming stuck inside. According to Global, the fall from the 14th floor was nearly 70 feet.

The victim reportedly suffered a leg injury as a result. However, he was awake and able to walk when firefighters arrived on the scene.

Crews descended down inside the shaft to assist the man and lift him up through the top. He was retrieved a little before 9:00 p.m.

Toronto Fire Services Chief Matthew Pegg later took to Twitter to comment on the incident.

“A complex and challenging high angle elevator rescue completed by @Toronto_Fire crews tonight,” Pegg wrote on Wednesday evening.

“These are unique technical rescues that require significant specialized training, equipment, and expertise. Job very well done by all involved,” he added.

The Technical Standards and Safety Authority were also called in to investigate the situation. Narcity has reached out to Toronto Fire Services for further information.

However, this isn't the first time that this machinery has been an issue in the city.

Back in July, Toronto Police reported that a window washer had died after falling down a shaft in the CBC building.

Emergency services attended the scene of the incident but were unable to save the man’s life, due to the severity of the injuries that he had sustained.

Last April, a person in a wheelchair was reported to have become stuck in an elevator and was at risk of being crushed.

Thankfully, Toronto Police later confirmed that the man was rescued from the situation and taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.