Search on Narcity

Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders Just Released Information On The 2 People Killed In The Danforth Shooting

Toronto Police have given some information on those killed in the mass shooting last night.
Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders Just Released Information On The 2 People Killed In The Danforth Shooting

Last night a man shot into crowded restaurants and businesses on the Danforth in Toronto.

Initially, police announced that 2 people had been killed and about a dozen others were taken to hospital.

Police chief Mark Saunders just held a press conference and released some information about the 2 who were killed.

Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders updates media: 18yr old female and 10yr old girl are deceased. Their names will not be released at this time. Person responsible for Danforth shooting has died. Special Investigations Unit handling that aspect of the investigation #GO1341286 ^sm

July 23, 2018

One of the victims who was killed was 10-years-old, the other was 18-years-old.

Both of the victims are female. 

Police will not be releasing the names of the victims at this time says Saunders, but you can expect that information to become available in the future.  

My evening was nice until I heard shooting right out of my place on the danforth. So scary!! The gun violence in Toronto is crazy. pic.twitter.com/eNHLlUlp6r

July 23, 2018

Police say that there were a total of 13 other victims ranging from 10 to 59 years old. All families of the victims have been notified. 

"I'd like to offer my condolences to the family, friends and loved ones that have been been affected by this incident," said Saunders.  

Saunders says that right now police have no motive for why this mass shooting took place. 

Police are still investigating and have closed as section of Danforth for that, there is no time frame for when it will reopen.

Appalling.... Walking down a street I love, shooting into crowds. The stuff of nightmares on my beloved #Danforth (from IG user @arilanise) pic.twitter.com/SApJPeX1IX

July 23, 2018

Police have not released any information about the shooter except that it was a 29-year-old male.

Saunders says Special Investigations Unit has invoked its mandate, that is why they are not releasing any of the information about the shooter at this time.    

"By law there are things I can and cannot say," Saunders explained. 

People who were affected by this shooting and having trouble dealing with it can contact Victim Services by calling 416-808-7066. 

Bonnie Levine, Executive Director of Victim Services Toronto invites anyone experiencing trauma from the Danforth shooting to contact Victim Services by calling 416-808-7066 #GO1341286 ^sm pic.twitter.com/NR0UT45c38

July 23, 2018

Police are looking for witnesses to help them with the investigation. 

If you have photos or videos of the incident police are asking you to submit them at this link.  

Source:CBC

Recommended For You

Loading...