If you take the TTC throughout the week you might have bumped into one of the two Despacito guys playing their accordions on the subway. While many love the busking pair and their jaunty version of the Fonsi and Daddy Yankee song - the TTC wasn't having any more of it.
According to the National Post, two Toronto Transit Commission special constables caught one of the buskers on a southbound train from St. Andrews station yesterday morning at around 11:15 A.M. The TTC officers then charged the guy with "interfering with the ordinary enjoyment of the transit system," says TTC spokesman Stuart Green. He's being fined $235, which could be lowered if he decides to fight the charges in court.
While the TTC is happy to have apprehended one of the guys who they see as disruptive on the subway, the local commuters of the city have a different view.
Many who heard the news took to Twitter to voice just how they feel about the pair being napped by the transit's special constables.
One of the Despacito guys have shown up multiple times in my subway car. I quite enjoy it and you could tell many around me did as well. Worst case they were indifferent. But I understand TTC shutting them down before you start seeing a trend.
As COVID-19 cases continue to drop, one of the province's top doctors has revealed that Ontario's reopening plan is on the way.
According to CP24, Christine Elliott, Minister of Health, told reporters on Tuesday that the plan will be coming "very soon."
"We have been working with the chief medical officer of health and the medical experts on a safe and careful reopening of Ontario because the last thing we want is to go into it too quickly and to get into a fourth wave. We have to do everything we can to avoid that so we are working on that and we expect it will be available very soon," Elliott said. "It is sector specific looking at what different types of sectors could perhaps be reopened and what their specific needs and timelines are."
All of Ontario is in a stay-at-home order, which is currently set to end on June 2. Yet, Dr. Williams, Ontario's chief medical officer of health, had revealed earlier this month that the order may not be lifted until the province reaches under 1,000 new cases a day.
Sunnybrook announced that kids within this age group are now able to book their appointments online if their condition is listed under the hospital's eligibility criteria.
Beginning today, youth ages 12-17 with a highest-risk, high-risk or at-risk health condition can book a COVID-19 va… https://t.co/jHEO1uwPqQ
— Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (@Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre)1621275449.0
The hospital posted a list of at-risk, high-risk, and highest risk conditions that are being prioritized for COVID-19 vaccines.
Sunnybrook lists autoimmune disorders, respiratory diseases and heart disease as at-risk conditions, along with many more. High or highest risk health conditions include, but are not limited to, those who have intellectual or developmental disabilities, organ transplant recipients and people with neurological diseases.
The hospital tweeted that appointments are limited due to the vaccine supply and their clinic's capacity, so they suggest checking back the following day if all of the slots fill up. Appointments are required and walk-ins are not accommodated at Sunnybrook.